News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

So now we are back to the 4-5 year Notre Dame tradition of "ignore the second half the season to speculate on who the next coach should be". Congratulations to Brian Kelly for extending his run to 7 years, delaying the tradition by 2-3 years. It has been several coaching regimes since an ND coach had similar success, and it will likely be several more before this tenure is exceeded. In time the Kelly era will be remembered as the glory days, and a statue to Brian Kelly will be put in front of the stadium (though on windy days it will be used to stabilize practice field video towers).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

It all comes down to Regis Philbin.  What does he think about Kelly?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Here's a guy who is earning his salary:  Michigan first-year defensive backs coach Brian Smith.

Michigan's passing defense leads in most categories (second in a few), but the stat that struck me was that the QBR when targeting CB Channing Stribling: a mere 9.6 (the 100th best QB has a rating of 48).  Targeting his stablemate Jourdan Lewis? 0.0

The only thing his defense doesn't do superlatively is get interceptions.  Even being superb there wouldn't be enough to get to the top of the pack, though; Florida has intercepted an amazing 10 of 140 passes thrown against them.

I love this defense.  Go Blue!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I think Arizona is going to go after Harbaugh once they fire Rich Rod. I heard he wants to get back to the Pac-12.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 18, 2016, 06:40:00 PM
I think Arizona is going to go after Harbaugh once they fire Rich Rod. I heard he wants to get back to the Pac-12.

The guy they should be targeting is Michigan's Doc Brown as DC.  The guy is Harbaugh, only on defense and without the ambition to be a head coach.  His mantra is "aggression solves all problems." Last year his defense at BC.. BC!... led all defenses.  This year, with talent, his defenses have allowed opponents into the red zone six times in 6 games.  Opponents have converted ten total third downs in six games (12% of opportunities). That's against the fifth-hardest schedule to date.

I think RichRod can create the offense he needs there.  I think firing him would be a huge mistake.  Doc Brown is probably too happy where he is to lend a hand on defense, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I think Arizona should go after Brian Kelly. He seems to fit what they are looking for. Offensive minded coach. Former successful Big East coach, coming off a failed stint at a big time midwestern program.

What could go wrong?

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2016, 07:22:23 PM
Last year his defense at BC.. BC!... led all defenses.

Last year's BC defense was one of the best ever;  when you consider the way offenses operate nowadays, maybe the best ever.  Too bad they didn't have an offense thensevles.

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2016, 05:42:15 PM
Here's a guy who is earning his salary:  Michigan first-year defensive backs coach Brian Smith.

Michigan's passing defense leads in most categories (second in a few), but the stat that struck me was that the QBR when targeting CB Channing Stribling: a mere 9.6 (the 100th best QB has a rating of 48).  Targeting his stablemate Jourdan Lewis? 0.0

The only thing his defense doesn't do superlatively is get interceptions.  Even being superb there wouldn't be enough to get to the top of the pack, though; Florida has intercepted an amazing 10 of 140 passes thrown against them.

pardon the ignorance, but where does one find such stats. Curious as how UDub's secondary fares.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

I hope Wyoming can win a road game.  The end.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Man.  Teams are making Oregon eat shit as payback for the last few years.

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on October 21, 2016, 08:11:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2016, 05:42:15 PM

pardon the ignorance, but where does one find such stats. Curious as how UDub's secondary fares.

The individual syays come from https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football/, specifically the article
https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-ohio-state-vs-michigan-how-wolverines-hold-edge/

The team stats come from http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

It was nice knowing Charlie Strong.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2016, 02:52:21 PM
It was nice knowing Charlie Strong.

I like Charlie Strong, so long as he isn't my team's coach.  Reminds me a lot of Brady Hoke from a personal standpoint, but a lot more intellectual.  He'll do well somewhere, but not at Texas.

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2016, 06:59:44 AM

The individual syays come from https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football/, specifically the article
https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-ohio-state-vs-michigan-how-wolverines-hold-edge/

The team stats come from http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

Ah thanks, that was same place that had this
1. Sidney Jones, Washington

2016 coverage stats: Thrown at nine times, four receptions, 20 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT,
zero passes defensed, 12.0 QB rating when targeted.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son