News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on March 21, 2016, 03:20:53 PM
Tyrion for President.

Tyrion is SOOO establishment though.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 01:08:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2016, 10:12:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2016, 09:47:17 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2016, 08:34:38 PM
Politics has a decisive effect on everybody's lives.  But for 99.99%+ of the population, there is absolutely nothing one can do to influence politics.

I have found that not to be the case.

What can I say.  Congrats for being the 0.01%  :P

Small towns elect officials.  Counties elect officials.  School boards elect officials.  At these levels not only does the average person can have an effect on politics, he may very well run for office.  It's not that big a deal.  Elected officials aren't "special".  They can be pretty much anyone.  And at these levels, important things occur things that can make a big difference in your life.  Taxation, road building and repair, which companies decide to base themselves in your area.

Yep.  Policies decided at the municipal level often directly affect people far more than anything the Federal government does, and a single person's vote is far more likely to make a difference in a local election.  Granted, that's less true in a local election in Hong Kong than in just about anywhere else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2016, 02:13:39 PM
Both are probably necessary

Bingo

2 kinds of politician: those who figure out how to back that which is necessary but not always popular, and those who attack that which is necessary for cheap applause in the expectation that more responsible politicians will step up and take the heat for it anyways (Exhibit A: Ted Cruz)

Most of the morons on that list have the excuse of being morons.  Bernie doesn't have that excuse. 

Whatever you think about the big banks, TARP was necessary.  When the hurricane is coming in to shore, that is not the time to pontificate about land use policy and zoning near the shore, you just have to pile up the sandbags. 

Whatever you think about the Fed, it is very transparent in its current incarnation, maybe too much so.  The "audit" bill has nothing to do with audit, it has to do about meddling in the monetary policy process, so that the goldbugs can push their 19th century monetary agenda.   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 21, 2016, 04:28:12 PM

2 kinds of politician: those who figure out how to back that which is necessary but not always popular, and those who attack that which is necessary for cheap applause in the expectation that more responsible politicians will step up and take the heat for it anyways (Exhibit A: Ted Cruz)

Most of the morons on that list have the excuse of being morons.  Bernie doesn't have that excuse. 

Whatever you think about the big banks, TARP was necessary.  When the hurricane is coming in to shore, that is not the time to pontificate about land use policy and zoning near the shore, you just have to pile up the sandbags. 

It's one think to think on an intellectual level, that TARP was necessary.  But it's quite another to think that the anger over it isn't real, or that it's just being created by cynical windbag politicians.  They might seek to exploit the anger, but they didn't create it.  Necessary or not, calling certain businesses "too big to fail" is absolutely not the way to sell to sell any economic program.  It's going to be taken as a slap on the face or worse by any "little guy" who's struggling, and maybe even by the "little guys" who are doing OK.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on March 21, 2016, 04:50:58 PM
It's one think to think on an intellectual level, that TARP was necessary.  But it's quite another to think that the anger over it isn't real, or that it's just being created by cynical windbag politicians.  They might seek to exploit the anger, but they didn't create it.  Necessary or not, calling certain businesses "too big to fail" is absolutely not the way to sell to sell any economic program.  It's going to be taken as a slap on the face or worse by any "little guy" who's struggling, and maybe even by the "little guys" who are doing OK.

"Too big to fail" was not sales pitch for TARP, it was the critique.

dps

The pitch should have been tailored to deflect that criticism, then.  Not that I'm sure how you'd do that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 03:13:49 PM
I wonder if, assuming Clinton wins this one, this will go away or just get worse until the "outsider" candidate wins?

Oh it is only going to get more intense. 2020 will be a real freak show. I have no idea where this is going to take us. A major political re-alignment is coming.

Oh, hells yeah.  The GOP has been consistently doubling down on stupid for every election since 2008, just wait and see what they're going to be exasperated enough to trot out after 4 years of Clinton.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 03:28:32 PM
Tyrion for President.

Tyrion is SOOO establishment though.

He's pretty much exactly the opposite.  He's a bastard of the exiled royal family who was only reluctantly acknowledged as as the son of an establishment figure in order to avoid an anti-establishment backlash.  He is as outsider as outsider gets.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Interesting as they finally do the Dems.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Tyrion for President.

Zombie Genghis Khan. Proven anti-establishment credentials and won't be bullied by China or Russia.

garbon

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jimmy-kimmel-mansplaining-to-hillary-clinton-2016-3?r=US&IR=T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=201&v=j2wBpYT6Zlo

QuoteJimmy Kimmel mocks Hillary Clinton's critics by 'mansplaining' public speaking to her

Hillary Clinton took a stab at pleasing those who have critiqued her speaking style — and made a point of her own — with some help from Jimmy Kimmel on Thursday night.
During the segment, Kimmel offered to give the Democratic presidential candidate some pointers from a man's point of view — in other words, he did some "mansplaining."

"I feel like I'm going to be your secret weapon now," the late-night host declared to Clinton. "I'm going to help you win this election, no problem."

When Kimmel asked Clinton if she knew what "mansplaining" is, she answered, "That's when a man explains something to a woman in a patronizing way."

The host then corrected her: "Actually, it's when a man explains something to a woman in a condescending way, but you were close."

Kimmel asked Clinton to stand behind a podium and give a speech just as she'd do at a rally. He then offered his male-oriented advice, from her outfit, to how loudly she spoke, and even her smile.

"Don't smile like that, because it's too forced. It's like you're faking it," he told Clinton. "Ask yourself, 'Do I want to be president or do I want to be a Lakers girl?'"

"Is that a real choice?" Clinton responded.

Clearly, this was Kimmel and Clinton's tongue-in-cheek way of addressing critics who go after her presentation. The former Secretary of State has been subjected to a lot of scrutiny about her choice of outfits, her speaking style, and even when and how she should smile. Arguably, these are critiques that the male politicians don't typically have to deal with.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Anyone who uses the word "mansplaining" should be exterminated.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Anyone who uses the word "mansplaining" should be exterminated.
:yes: I don't often call for exterminations, but in this case it's perfectly justifiable.

celedhring

I get he probably was making a joke by being patronizing himself when explaining that, but what's the difference between patronizing and condescending?