News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Monoriu

Politics has a decisive effect on everybody's lives.  But for 99.99%+ of the population, there is absolutely nothing one can do to influence politics. 

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2016, 06:04:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2016, 11:39:03 AM
Perhaps some people feel that politics is not important to them and decide not to vote. From a certain perspective after all politics seems like one of the greatest scams of all - it gets people excited with things that have ultimately little influence on their lives and which they can individually influence even less. I wonder how much really an interest in politics is important for a good and happy life.

I've come to believe that a certain distance from it is pretty healthy actually. People obsessed with politics seem to be chronically angry.

There's a big middle ground between apathetic and obsessed.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on March 20, 2016, 08:43:33 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2016, 06:04:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2016, 11:39:03 AM
Perhaps some people feel that politics is not important to them and decide not to vote. From a certain perspective after all politics seems like one of the greatest scams of all - it gets people excited with things that have ultimately little influence on their lives and which they can individually influence even less. I wonder how much really an interest in politics is important for a good and happy life.

I've come to believe that a certain distance from it is pretty healthy actually. People obsessed with politics seem to be chronically angry.

There's a big middle ground between apathetic and obsessed.

Let somebody else fill that ground then :contract:

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2016, 08:34:38 PM
Politics has a decisive effect on everybody's lives.  But for 99.99%+ of the population, there is absolutely nothing one can do to influence politics.

I have found that not to be the case.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 20, 2016, 05:31:04 AM
I can feel the black enthusiasm for Hillary bubbling up all over this country. :mellow:

That's the point of the article.  People may not be screaming in wild ecstasy but they sure are voting.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2016, 09:47:17 PM

What can I say.  Congrats for being the 0.01%  :P

Valmy

There is probably lots I could do to influence politics. I could make myself a real nuisance. But why? Sounds like a lot of work and I am not even sure what my cause would be.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Also this is a big reason why I don't get too worked up about elections. A vote is a vote, it does not matter how passionately it is cast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2016, 09:54:30 PM
I can feel the black enthusiasm for Hillary bubbling up all over this country. :mellow:

That's the point of the article.  People may not be screaming in wild ecstasy but they sure are voting.

The primary voters with a vested interested in the direction/success of the party sure are.  Let's see if the whole country clears 54.9% voter turnout in November, let alone all the non-ecstatic HR Clinton devotees out there.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2016, 10:12:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2016, 09:47:17 PM

What can I say.  Congrats for being the 0.01%  :P

Small towns elect officials.  Counties elect officials.  School boards elect officials.  At these levels not only does the average person can have an effect on politics, he may very well run for office.  It's not that big a deal.  Elected officials aren't "special".  They can be pretty much anyone.  And at these levels, important things occur things that can make a big difference in your life.  Taxation, road building and repair, which companies decide to base themselves in your area.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 12:51:28 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2016, 09:54:30 PM

The primary voters with a vested interested in the direction/success of the party sure are.  Let's see if the whole country clears 54.9% voter turnout in November, let alone all the non-ecstatic HR Clinton devotees out there.

Well pretty much everyone has a vested interest whether they want one or not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2016, 10:33:15 PM
Also this is a big reason why I don't get too worked up about elections. A vote is a vote, it does not matter how passionately it is cast.

Dunno, man.  I fill in those squares on my ballot so dark they have to be weighted extra.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

All the men below share something in common in their Senate voting record:

John Barrasso
Thad Cochrane
Mike Crapo
Mike Enzi
Jim Inhofe
Ron Johnson
Pat Roberts
Bernie Sanders
Jeff Sessions
Richard Shelby
David Vitter
Roger Wicker

Interesting company for Senator Sanders, left wing hero.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Capetan Mihali

Guns are just NBD in Vermont.  The only state gun law is no loaded rifle or shotgun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle -- Fish And Wildlife Violation punishable by a $500 fine and suspension of your license to take game in Vermont for up to three years.  He faithfully represented his constituency.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)