News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 06:55:53 PM
Compromise means you had a position, they had a position, you met in the middle even though it wasn't perfect.  Voting in another round of Wall Street "experts" to walk in the revolving door of financial regulation isn't compromise, it's surrender.

What would "real" financial regulation look like?

CountDeMoney

If it doesn't involve the deployment and detonation of unconventional explosive devices with the appropriate yield to incur large numbers of casualties, then it's not really "real" financial regulation.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on March 16, 2016, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: garbon
There's also, as DG sort of said, a bit about voting for the candidate who you think would be better for America and its citizens as a whole. Trump (and the current Republican crop) aren't really those people.

That's not an argument against voting for a 3rd party candidate, though, if you actually believe said candidate would be better for America than either Trump or Clinton would be.
It is an argument against voting for a third party candidate, if you take actual real world consequences of voting into account.  Voting for a third party candidate is not as bad as voting for Trump, but it is half as bad, because you're not canceling out someone else's vote for Trump.  It's so obvious that I have no idea why I need to spell it out.

And all this "said candidate would be better for America" is answering a wrong question to begin with.  In the voting booth, you should not ask yourself who the best candidate for America would be.  You should be asking yourself which vote would be best for America.  In 2000, it didn't matter whether Nader or Gore would be better for America.  It sure as hell mattered which vote was better for America.

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2016, 07:56:19 PMIt is an argument against voting for a third party candidate, if you take actual real world consequences of voting into account.

to be fair, mono is absolutely correct that it doesn't matter whether mihali votes. there are no real world consequences, because a single person's vote has negligible impact in national and most state politics. but, I know you're arguing against the general principle  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: LaCroix on March 16, 2016, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2016, 07:56:19 PMIt is an argument against voting for a third party candidate, if you take actual real world consequences of voting into account.

to be fair, mono is absolutely correct that it doesn't matter whether mihali votes. there are no real world consequences, because a single person's vote has negligible impact in national and most state politics. but, I know you're arguing against the general principle  :P

:hug:

Siege

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 08:55:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2016, 07:01:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2016, 06:43:55 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 06:03:05 AM
As well as how many voters (like me) who would've voted for Sanders but will either submit a write-in ballot or not vote at all in November.

Ass.

This is also why I'm so upset that we're continuing to have the Bern drift along. He's already pushed Hillary to the left, now time to bow out as the next few months will only continue strife and lead to more Bern supporters adopting Mihali's juvenile* stance.

*and really it is as not voting/protesting voting in the two party system we have only serves to help the Republicans who are certainly much farther away policy-wise than Hillary is to Bernie.

:lol:  So juvenile to think that just because I've voted for 95% (D) candidates in the past, a Presidential candidate -- even from the Democratic Party! -- has to earn my vote rather than just expect it?  What's juvenile is refusing to believe we can ever have anything better than "the better of two evils" and smearing anyone who is foolish enough to vote their conscience, like a mere child shaking his rattle. 

Of course we can never have perfect candidates; but at a certain point the things that make the candidates "evil" are pretty specific and pretty obvious, e.g. campaign contributions from the finance sector, not vague or petty distastes like "not sure we see eye-to-eye on the environment..." or "wears suits a size too big."

EDIT:  Nevermind, wasn't a fair reading of your words.

Why are you so liberal?
Your liberal policies are destroying this country.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on March 17, 2016, 03:51:22 AM
Why are you so liberal?
Your liberal policies are destroying this country.

Shhh
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2016, 07:17:40 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 06:55:53 PM
Compromise means you had a position, they had a position, you met in the middle even though it wasn't perfect.  Voting in another round of Wall Street "experts" to walk in the revolving door of financial regulation isn't compromise, it's surrender.

What would "real" financial regulation look like?

blah blah blah Glass-steagall blah blah blah transactions tax blah blah blah
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Real financial regulation would to me look like hedgefund managers hanging from lamp posts.  :ph34r:

The Minsky Moment

Except that hedge fund managers, however objectionable their mores may seem to you, are not really the public policy problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 17, 2016, 10:47:28 AM
Except that hedge fund managers, however objectionable their mores may seem to you, are not really the public policy problem.

It was a joke.
"Financial regulation" is like a buzzword thrown out there from populists everywhere.

Tamas

In Hungary the government regulates all profit-making sectors into the hands of oligarchs who support them. Progress!

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2016, 11:27:24 AM
In Hungary the government regulates all profit-making sectors into the hands of oligarchs who support them. Progress!

In Norway, the state has shareholder majority in Telenor and Statoil, both companies operating in places that encourage bribery and corruption like Brazil and the former Soviet -stans.

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on March 17, 2016, 10:37:11 AM
Real financial regulation would to me look like hedgefund managers hanging from lamp posts.  :ph34r:

I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.