News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Capetan Mihali

But I doubt he'll stop until the bitter end...and then the Convention will be interesting to see.  As well as how many voters (like me) who would've voted for Sanders but will either submit a write-in ballot or not vote at all in November.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 06:03:05 AM
But I doubt he'll stop until the bitter end...and then the Convention will be interesting to see.  As well as how many voters (like me) who would've voted for Sanders but will either submit a write-in ballot or not vote at all in November.
I've heard a few people say this.
Even as much as sanders would have been good for America (for the world though I'm unsure. All this talk of bringing jobs back to America..... fine when a small country says that sort of thing but when it's the country controlling so much of the global economy?) I think being able to have a little protest for him has to be a secondary priority to avoiding trump.
As naff as hilary is you can be sure with her it will be business as usual. Which. Isn't actually THAT bad
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

As well as how many voters (like me) who would've voted for Sanders but will either submit a write-in ballot or not vote at all in November.

Ass.

Tamas

When you don't vote, you are in fact supporting the candidate with the most determined and fanatical group of supporters.

So, Mihali will be voting on Trump, it seems.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2016, 06:45:19 AM
When you don't vote, you are in fact supporting the candidate with the most determined and fanatical group of supporters.

So a vote not cast is a vote for Manson?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2016, 06:43:55 AM
As well as how many voters (like me) who would've voted for Sanders but will either submit a write-in ballot or not vote at all in November.

Ass.

This is also why I'm so upset that we're continuing to have the Bern drift along. He's already pushed Hillary to the left, now time to bow out as the next few months will only continue strife and lead to more Bern supporters adopting Mihali's juvenile* stance.

*and really it is as not voting/protesting voting in the two party system we have only serves to help the Republicans who are certainly much farther away policy-wise than Hillary is to Bernie.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2016, 10:21:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 10:19:13 PM
True.  So then we can agree she didn't bother to think through the implications, right?

Dude you are cute. Hillary does not actually support doing that, should would never do such a radical un-Clinton thing in a million years. It is all bullshit for the leftists in this election. The woman is a corrupt political animal.

The same kind of non-committal rhetorics coming from Trump is enough of an evidence he is a fascist so I am not sure why it is a different standard for Hillary. Is it because she is a woman and women usually do not think through their stances?  :hmm:

Martinus

This is the part I don't really get from your part of the left (the one that is pro-Sanders and vehemently anti-Trump). Sure, I have no problem with you preferring Sanders over Clinton. But if Trump is the evil incarnate and a racist fascist you claim him to be, surely one should hold their nose and vote for Clinton, right? That is the only moral stance to take - potentially contributing to a fascist victory because the counter-candidate is not ideologically pure enough is deeply unethical.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 10:13:42 PM
I said she favored it.  Her words were that the Australian system was "worth looking at".  In politician speak, that means she favors it.

In political speak it means "I'm not actually going to do anything".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2016, 07:31:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 10:13:42 PM
I said she favored it.  Her words were that the Australian system was "worth looking at".  In politician speak, that means she favors it.

In political speak it means "I'm not actually going to do anything".

Not really, that is an underlying truth that does not depend upon the language used, as it is rarely explicitly stated.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2016, 07:01:16 AM
This is also why I'm so upset that we're continuing to have the Bern drift along. He's already pushed Hillary to the left, now time to bow out as the next few months will only continue strife and lead to more Bern supporters adopting Mihali's juvenile* stance.

*and really it is as not voting/protesting voting in the two party system we have only serves to help the Republicans who are certainly much farther away policy-wise than Hillary is to Bernie.

You would have thought people learned their fucking lesson in 2000.  Not voting out of principle is a shitty fucking principle.

Quite frankly, and I don't care how melodramatic people think it sounds, but far too many Americans have died and far more people on this planet die every day over the right to vote.  I don't care if it's a vote for dog catcher or chancery judge, or even if it's as trivial a matter as making sure your vote cancels out Yi's, fucking vote.

Capetan Mihali

Ass.

You go ahead and vote for President Goldman and Vice-President Sachs.  I'm done.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2016, 06:22:07 AM\
Even as much as sanders would have been good for America (for the world though I'm unsure. All this talk of bringing jobs back to America..... fine when a small country says that sort of thing but when it's the country controlling so much of the global economy?)

You sure you haven't turned into a gnome of Zurich, your Swiss neoliberalism is shining through.  And I *never* make fun of you for this, but what's good for the British coal-mine goose isn't good for the American steel-mill gander?

And yes, business as usual really is that bad, just not for you or me because we're extraordinarily lucky.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2016, 07:01:16 AM

Ass.

:lol:  So juvenile to think that just because I've voted for 95% (D) candidates in the past, a Presidential candidate -- even from the Democratic Party! -- has to earn my vote rather than just expect it?  What's juvenile is refusing to believe we can ever have anything better than "the better of two evils" and smearing anyone who is foolish enough to vote their conscience, like a mere child shaking his rattle. 

Of course we can never have perfect candidates; but at a certain point the things that make the candidates "evil" are pretty specific and pretty obvious, e.g. campaign contributions from the finance sector, not vague or petty distastes like "not sure we see eye-to-eye on the environment..." or "wears suits a size too big."

EDIT:  Nevermind, wasn't a fair reading of your words.