News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on March 08, 2016, 06:00:52 PM
mind babies*

they're OK

MIND babies?!!? You sure you're not an alien? :area52:

Eddie Teach

I don't like babies, especially ones not related to me. :scrooge:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 08, 2016, 03:53:22 PM
I think it is a fair complaint, and I think people flaunting their homosexuality is kind of annoying as well.

However, I also think that homophobia is a much bigger problem, and I assume that a good chunk of the people bitching about gay people flaunting their sexuality is really about them, not about the gay people. And since gay people have had to fight and struggle for their rights, I am happy to err on their side.

I do think that women should be free to breast feed in public. I also think that it is natural to view that as a somewhat intimate activity, that I would expect most women would want to engage in discretely, to the extent that is reasonable. If the circumstances are such that it isn't reasonable, oh well.

And if there are women who want to make a point of the fact that breastfeeding in public is fine, and want to do so in as an indiscrete manner as they can manage...shrug. Whatever. I can certainly appreciate the disdain though that people have for anyone who feels a need to draw attention to themselves, especially over something like this.

I think all that's fine - though I would say it is rhetorically cheap to compare to homosexuality. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 08, 2016, 06:12:29 PM
I don't like babies, especially ones not related to me. :scrooge:

I don't like children in general but I have the serenity to accept things I cannot change. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on March 08, 2016, 04:02:58 PM
public displays of affection aren't usually attempts to flaunt love. it's more that the people are really engrossed with one another. that's kinda what mothers are to their babies. they and their friends/family might care about the baby, but nobody else does except for the occasional baby lover. it's an annoyance to the rest, like public displays of affection, because it's awkward and/or gross.

I think others have already said it, but this is really bizarre.

Google's top hit for baby lover was this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhL07UCkb4

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2016, 06:20:01 PMI think others have already said it, but this is really bizarre.

why do you think people dislike public breastfeeding? other than awkwardness/grossness, what other reason makes sense?

garbon

I don't think that most people dislike it.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2016, 06:24:02 PM
I don't think that most people dislike it.

you've got people posting on FB about how others report their breastfeeding pictures. you have public breastfeeding activists. and itt, you've got an anecdote of someone's wife being mortified at the thought of public breastfeeding. plus, if it was a normal, everyday thing, you'd probably see it happening way more often. maybe california/NYC are progressive enough where people honestly don't blink and stare a little bit at public breastfeeding, but I don't think the majority of the country is like that.

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on March 08, 2016, 06:23:11 PMwhy do you think people dislike public breastfeeding? other than awkwardness/grossness, what other reason makes sense?

Because they're a bunch of weird uptight fuckers who can't think of women's bodies as anything but sinful sexual devices.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2016, 06:16:11 PM
I think all that's fine - though I would say it is rhetorically cheap to compare to homosexuality. <_<

Yeah, fair enough... it was the "flaunting" thing that clinched it.

garbon

Apart from when I was a child, the only time I took issue with public breastfeeding is when I was sitting on the subway and a woman sat down partially on me and then with her baby partially on me started breastfeeding. I didn't really want to participate. :D

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2016, 06:32:36 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 08, 2016, 06:23:11 PMwhy do you think people dislike public breastfeeding? other than awkwardness/grossness, what other reason makes sense?

Because they're a bunch of weird uptight fuckers who can't think of women's bodies as anything but sinful sexual devices.

:(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2016, 06:32:36 PMBecause they're a bunch of weird uptight fuckers who can't think of women's bodies as anything but sinful sexual devices.

a less extreme version of this is maybe part of it. but the whole act is pretty personal in general. typically, people don't like personal things displayed in public. best to find an excluded area somewhere, which is what most mothers do

when society rejects allowing women to do something, it's not always caused by sexism

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2016, 06:32:36 PM

Duh.  Women are not people; they are devices built by our Lord Jesus Christ for our entertainment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2016, 09:47:18 PM
Duh.  Women are not people; they are devices built by our Lord Jesus Christ for our entertainment.

Our Lord Jesus Christ should have built the devices with a better ability to drive a car.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!