News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

alfred russel

Speaking about the constitutionality of issues that aren't completely black and white, justices are people appointed by politicians. What is considered unconstitutional now isn't what was considered unconstitutional in the past, and vice versa. The difference is the attitudes of the people on the court, and those people are appointed by presidents. Which makes me think twice when someone says in a presidential election, "he couldn't do that anyway, it is unconstitutional."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

LaCroix, do you have any evidence that Sanders is planning on introducing a wealth tax? Pointing out that current policies have greatly exacerbated the wealth gap doesn't count as such.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Phillip V on February 02, 2016, 05:25:44 PM
Sanders refuses to concede defeat in Iowa due to the coin tosses.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/bernie-sanders-iowa-caucuses-218643
Well that sucks if they are doing things that way. Iowans can't count?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2016, 06:02:59 PM

Chavs don't understand the concept of people leaving before they vote?

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2016, 06:02:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 02, 2016, 05:25:44 PM
Sanders refuses to concede defeat in Iowa due to the coin tosses.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/bernie-sanders-iowa-caucuses-218643

These are caucuses.  Often at peoples' homes.  In a tight race.  What is so mysterious about the idea that, in small groups, a handful of groups will have tied votes?  In that case, delegates are distributed evenly and the odd delegate (where there is an odd number assigned) determined by coin flip.  It sucks that some people don't understand the idea of tiebreaking.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2016, 02:33:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2016, 02:30:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 02:11:56 PM
I have commented on more than one occasion about the inherent weaknesses of your system which prevent anything actually getting done. Some Americans seem to have viewed that as a virtue so YMMV.

There's no question that the system of checks and balances sometimes swings too far in favor of checks, but Turkey, Russia, Hungary, et al give evidence that the US outcome is better than one with too few checks.

I'm not touching which system is "better" with a ten foot pole, but it does mean that campaign promises in US elections are almost all merely aspirational - what the candidate would like to do, not what they will do.  In a parliamentary system there's no reason why a winning party shouldn't be able to implement everything they had promised.

I disagree - it's more the function of timing between elections than the system itself. There is absolutely no reason why campaign promises are "merely aspirational", if in both the presidential and congress elections one side campaigns - and wins - on the same platform.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2016, 02:30:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 02:11:56 PM
I have commented on more than one occasion about the inherent weaknesses of your system which prevent anything actually getting done. Some Americans seem to have viewed that as a virtue so YMMV.

There's no question that the system of checks and balances sometimes swings too far in favor of checks, but Turkey, Russia, Hungary, et al give evidence that the US outcome is better than one with too few checks.

FWIW, neither Turkey nor Russia are Parliamentary democracies. Both have a very strong President.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2016, 02:39:27 PM
I'm not touching which system is "better" with a ten foot pole, but it does mean that campaign promises in US elections are almost all merely aspirational - what the candidate would like to do, not what they will do.  In a parliamentary system there's no reason why a winning party shouldn't be able to implement everything they had promised.
Quite true.  For good or ill.

While it is true that a Parliamentary majority can make its own decisions without further obstacles within Parliament itself, BB overstates the issue when he says there is no reason a majority shouldn't be able to implement everything they promised. As an example the Conservatives, in their 10 years in power in Canada, had a great deal of difficulty implementing all they had promised.  Public support still matters to a government with a majority.  Also, the Courts provide an important role in deciding whether legislation is constitutionally valid - and there were many instances where the Court struck down their legislation as being inconsistent with the Charter.

But then we are starting to compare apples and oranges. If you take the British system as the template of a Parliamentary system, the power of some body (such as courts, or the constitutional tribunal of sorts) to declare acts of the Parliament as inconsistent with some sort of a higher act (usually a constitution) is a departure from that system.

The Minsky Moment

I don't like his plan to tax Wall Street.  It's a pretty small street and these days there's a lot of Grade B space.  The yield isn't going to be that impressive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2016, 01:54:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2016, 02:39:27 PM
Quite true.  For good or ill.

While it is true that a Parliamentary majority can make its own decisions without further obstacles within Parliament itself, BB overstates the issue when he says there is no reason a majority shouldn't be able to implement everything they promised. As an example the Conservatives, in their 10 years in power in Canada, had a great deal of difficulty implementing all they had promised.  Public support still matters to a government with a majority.  Also, the Courts provide an important role in deciding whether legislation is constitutionally valid - and there were many instances where the Court struck down their legislation as being inconsistent with the Charter.

But then we are starting to compare apples and oranges. If you take the British system as the template of a Parliamentary system, the power of some body (such as courts, or the constitutional tribunal of sorts) to declare acts of the Parliament as inconsistent with some sort of a higher act (usually a constitution) is a departure from that system.

I was making the point that there are other methods of government that have checks and balances without having to resort to the extreme of the American model.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2016, 12:07:20 PM
I don't like his plan to tax Wall Street.  It's a pretty small street and these days there's a lot of Grade B space.  The yield isn't going to be that impressive.

NIMBY  :rolleyes:

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2016, 05:58:11 PM
LaCroix, do you have any evidence that Sanders is planning on introducing a wealth tax? Pointing out that current policies have greatly exacerbated the wealth gap doesn't count as such.

how have current policies greatly exacerbated the wealth gap?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 03, 2016, 11:14:21 PM

Tax policies favor investments and penalize wage work. Free trade transfers middle class jobs overseas and they have been replaced by jobs that can no longer support a family. Illegal immigration driving wages down for the benefit of rich exploiters. Bail outs of the rich at tax payer expense. The rich sheltering their wealth so the tax burden falls on the rest...and so forth.

You know, the stuff people have been bitching about constantly for decades. That article Tim posted about why people like Trump talks about some of this. How legitimate those complaints are is something else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on February 03, 2016, 11:14:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2016, 05:58:11 PM

I am not sure if you are being serious or not.