Free yoga class cancelled - is guilty of "cultural appropriation"

Started by Barrister, November 23, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 10:33:50 AMWhat would be sufficient evidence? I mean if we cannot use what seem to be pretty damning quotes from the new hiree.

probably something a little more than a few quotes :P

people are different and say different things. some people might go on and on about their cultural background, and others might feel uncomfortable. a few quotes isn't enough for me to tell either way on this particular point. if you disagree, OK, then we just disagree

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2016, 12:59:43 PM
probably something a little more than a few quotes :P

people are different and say different things. some people might go on and on about their cultural background, and others might feel uncomfortable. a few quotes isn't enough for me to tell either way on this particular point. if you disagree, OK, then we just disagree

What a bullshit cop out. How could you possibly get more evidence on this topic besides people's opinions? It is impossible without some sort of anthropological study.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 01:48:39 PM
What a bullshit cop out. How could you possibly get more evidence on this topic besides people's opinions? It is impossible without some sort of anthropological study.

Let it go.  Unless you can "prove" him wrong, LaCroix is going to insist his assumptions are true, evidence to the contrary be damned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 01:48:39 PMWhat a bullshit cop out. How could you possibly get more evidence on this topic besides people's opinions? It is impossible without some sort of anthropological study.

picking apart the way someone says something to some journalist, using a magnifying glass to interpret their words to support your assumption... you should go to law school.  :P

Quote from: grumblerLet it go.  Unless you can "prove" him wrong, LaCroix is going to insist his assumptions are true, evidence to the contrary be damned.

I have no assumptions, aside from "who knows what she is." I've merely been attacking your assumption, that she must be X. ;)