Student suspended for helping asthma attack victim

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2016, 03:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Fucking bearuacrats and their zero tolerance bullshit should hang.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/education/2016/01/26/parents-praise-student-who-helped-asthmatic-daughter-deny-claims-attack-fake/79353876/
KILLEEN, Texas --  A Killeen family is thanking an eighth-grade student who got suspended after he helped their daughter during an asthma attack last week.

Anthony Ruelas' mother, Mandy Cortes, said her 15-year-old son was suspended January 19 for going against his teacher's orders to help a fellow classmate, Tishica Fisher, 15, who was having an asthma attack.

Fisher's parents said they are furious with how the teacher, Gateway Middle School, and the Killeen Independent School District handled the situation, especially since it happened at an alternative school, a place they believe is supposed to give students a second chance and help make them better people.

Photos: Student suspended after carrying student to nurse
Fisher said she barely remembers the attack she had during math class.

"All I know is I blacked out and I felt myself getting picked up by somebody," said Fisher.

That somebody was Anthony Ruelas. "It really wasn't his problem to get involved," said Fisher's stepfather Jeffery Bailey.

But Ruelas did get involved, apparently to his own demise. "They were so quick to write him up and suspend him, but what about her?" said Bailey of the alleged lack of concern for his daughter.

Ruelas was given a two-day suspension after he went against his teacher's orders and left his classroom to carry Fisher to the nurses office two buildings over.

"I was wheezing really bad and I couldn't breathe," said Fisher.  "Then like three minutes after that, I hit the floor and that's when he helped me, and the teachers told him not to touch me, they were just gonna leave me there."
Bailey said the school's security office was right across the outdoor walkway, and when students get into fights security responds immediately.

"Where was security at and why didn't the nurse come to the room?" said Bailey. "It took a email?"

Bailey's referring to the teacher's referral letter, which said Ruelas wouldn't wait for the teacher to get an email back from the school nurse.

Ruelas' referral form from his teacher reads, in her handwriting:

"During 5th period another student complained that she couldn't breathe and was having an asthma attack. As I waited for a response from the nurse the student fell out of her chair to the floor.  Anthony proceeded to go over and pick her up, saying 'f—k that we ain't got time to wait for no email from the nurse.' He walks out of class and carries the other student to the nurse."

"I was mad, I was like 'I know they just did not suspend him for that!'" said Bailey after he learned of Ruelas'suspension.
The school district released the following statement Monday:

The Killeen Independent School District maintains the safety of our students as our number one priority. The incident at Gateway Middle School as reported on 1/19/16 was investigated. Students were not disciplined for providing aid to another student on 1/19/16 at Gateway Middle School. Students rendering assistance and their efforts are to be applauded. The district employs registered nurses on our campuses to include Gateway Middle School, to assess and assist with student and staff medical needs as they arise and to ensure the health and well-being of our students.

-John Craft, Superintendent Killeen Independent School District

"I know the school has a policy or whatever about the kids not touching kids or whatever, but I don't think that's right,"said Bailey.

Bailey and Scallion said they were called by the school nurse an hour after the incident and were told she'd had a panic attack.  They said the nurse didn't instruct them to pick their daughter up from school and Fisher had to return to class.

Fisher said her classmates have been teasing her about faking the asthma attack, and her teacher told her in class on Friday that she and her mom need to "fix this" because people were creating a petition to get the teacher to resign.

Still, many posts were continuing to circulate on social media in the wake of the incident, which claimed Fisher had a history of faking attacks. "That's a crock," said Kristie Scallion, Fisher's mother.

Fisher has an inhaler and said she's suffered from asthma since she was 3-months-old and has had attacks at school before. "I have never in my life faked an asthma attack," said Fisher.

Her dad is just thankful for Ruelas' actions and that this attack wasn't the one that took her away forever. "I wanna invite him as part of my family," said Bailey.  "I don't know what I would have done, I really don't."

Ruelas' mother said she was told by the school he was suspended for leaving class, which is also what's described in the teacher's hand-written referral note.  Although he was allowed back Thursday, Ruelas hasn't returned to Gateway since the incident; Cortes said she's pulling him out this week and he'll be home-schooled for the rest of the year.

KSDK's partner, KCEN has asked the district for more clarification on the incident and its policies on giving medical aid to students. Fisher's parents said they'll be at the next KISD school board meeting February 9 asking that changes be made to the district's policies.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Yeah burying it in the off topic would have been okay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2016, 04:06:13 PM
You shouldn't post while fucking. Rude to your partner. :(

Unless that's their thing, I guess...

Razgovory

KILLEEN, Texas --  A Killeen family is thanking an eighth-grade student who got suspended after he helped their daughter during an asthma attack last week.

Anthony Ruelas' mother, Mandy Cortes, said her 15-year-old son was suspended January 19 for going against his teacher's orders to help a fellow classmate, Tishica Fisher, 15, who was having an asthma attack.

Fisher's parents said they are furious with how the teacher, Gateway Middle School, and the Killeen Independent School District handled the situation, especially since it happened at an alternative school, a place they believe is supposed to give students a second chance and help make them better people.

Photos: Student suspended after carrying student to nurse
Fisher said she barely remembers the attack she had during math class.

"All I know is I blacked out and I felt myself getting picked up by somebody," said Fisher.

That somebody was Anthony Ruelas. "It really wasn't his problem to get involved," said Fisher's stepfather Jeffery Bailey.

But Ruelas did get involved, apparently to his own demise.

Whoa, they killed him over this?

Also, we do have a megathread on for this.  State of Misery.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,13521.msg927042.html#msg927042 :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

A few things deserve highlighting, besides the obvious. "'f—k that we ain't got time to wait for no email from the nurse."

#1: I would have been in deep trouble if I used that kind of language in middle school. The nuns wouldn't have stood for it.
#2: This guy is lucky that you can't get suspended for bad grammar.

Also, this is apparently a middle school. Yet this guy and the victim are mentioned as being 15.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2016, 10:47:03 PM
A few things deserve highlighting, besides the obvious. "'f—k that we ain't got time to wait for no email from the nurse."

#1: I would have been in deep trouble if I used that kind of language in middle school. The nuns wouldn't have stood for it.
#2: This guy is lucky that you can't get suspended for bad grammar.

Also, this is apparently a middle school. Yet this guy and the victim are mentioned as being 15.  :hmm:

Gateway Middle School is apparently a "disciplinary alternative" program.

QuoteSince Gateway Complex is a disciplinary alternative campus, it must be realized that the program is of necessity more rigidly structured and more closely supervised than a regular campus, with immediate application of both positive and negative consequences for student behavior. 

https://www.killeenisd.org/schoolDocs/c9/documents/StudentHandbook.doc

Aspiring thugs in Texas Penal Preparatory aren't allowed to touch other students or leave the classroom.  Well, no shit.

CountDeMoney

lol, gotta love the welcome on Shawshank Middle School's web page--

QuoteWelcome!

Students,
The staff of the Gateway Complex looks forward to assisting you in your academic and social development. We expect you to cooperate with the staff and accept responsibility for your actions. To be successful, we encourage you to become familiar with the handbook.

We hope you will take advantage of the opportunities offered by this program. We encourage you to make good choices concerning your behavior and academic success. It is our goal to help you successfully return to a regular school setting or make a smooth transition to the Life Long Learning Program.

QuoteParents,
We look forward to working with your child while he/she is attending Gateway Complex. This important time in your child's life is most likely to be successful when students, parents, and school work together. We want to be involved with your child's development, and we feel your support and encouragement are essential.

Please go over this handbook with your child. Also, remind your child that he/she is expected to follow all rules, respect others, and accept responsibility for his/her own actions. Let's work together to help your child be successful in his/her education and social development.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 28, 2016, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2016, 05:05:23 PM
KILLEEN, Texas
Also, we do have a megathread on for this.  State of Misery.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,13521.msg927042.html#msg927042 :mad:

:unsure:

My mistake.  For some reason, Tim's link was a St. Louis TV station.  I assumed it was a local story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017