Theatre-goer accidentally shot by man who feared mass shooting

Started by Syt, January 27, 2016, 04:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35412196?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

QuoteTheatre-goer accidentally shot by man who feared mass shooting

A man who accidentally wounded a woman in a suburban Seattle cinema told police he brought his gun along because he feared a mass shooting.

Police say Dane Gallion, 29, had a gun in his waistband during a Thursday night showing of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

He told police the gun had dropped to the floor during the film and fired, striking the woman in shoulder.

He fled the cinema after the shooting, but was later arrested.

The woman was treated at hospital and is expected to recover.

Mr Gallion told police he had taken medication for anxiety and drunk beer before the movie.

He was released on bail under the condition he surrender his guns to a family member and avoid drugs and alcohol.

Cinemas have been sites of mass shootings in the US.

In 2012, a Colorado graduate student killed 12 people and wounded 70 others at a showing of a Batman film outside Denver.

More recently, an Alabama man killed two women in July inside a Louisiana cinema,
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Well I am glad he prevented a shooting at that movie.

Quote13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

:bleeding:

Glad the woman is alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Idiot. He could not maintain proper control of a firearm,  sounds like did not even have a proper holster. And to add to the idiocy, he did that with a crappy gun without good safety features.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 27, 2016, 10:00:20 AM
Idiot. He could not maintain proper control of a firearm,  sounds like did not even have a proper holster. And to add to the idiocy, he did that with a crappy gun without good safety features.

He was exercising his 2nd Amendment rights!  :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I think anyone who calls cinema a "theatre" should be shot.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2016, 08:11:07 AM
Well I am glad he prevented a shooting at that movie.

Quote13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

:bleeding:

Glad the woman is alright.

If she had a gun, she could have defended herself.

Obviously, the answer is for more people to carry guns.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2016, 10:21:26 AM

Don't be so theatrical theaterical.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Along with those who call a movie theater a "cinema".  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2016, 10:58:59 AM

In Britain, they are called "cinemas."  This didn't happen in a British cinema, though, it happened in an American movie theater.  Marti's a little provincial, though, so we shouldn't expect him to understand that different countries use different terms for the same thing, even when they nominally speak the same language.  I cannot predict for sure how he will respond when he discovers the aluminium/aluminum divide (if he ever does).  He'll probably call for tackling, as well as shooting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2016, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2016, 10:58:59 AM

In Britain, they are called "cinemas."  This didn't happen in a British cinema, though, it happened in an American movie theater.  Marti's a little provincial, though, so we shouldn't expect him to understand that different countries use different terms for the same thing, even when they nominally speak the same language.  I cannot predict for sure how he will respond when he discovers the aluminium/aluminum divide (if he ever does).  He'll probably call for tackling, as well as shooting.
:lol:

The Brain

QuoteHe was released on bail under the condition he surrender his guns to a family member and avoid drugs and alcohol.

Could he keep his guns and consume drugs and alcohol if he wasn't released on bail?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.