News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spiders

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 10:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2009, 04:34:54 AM
I consider the spiders to be a loose ally in my eternal struggle to exterminate other more annoying insects. So I dont stomp on them outside the house.

But, the bigger (central european sizes, so dont think that big) versions creap me the hell out so if I find a spider in my rooms, it is dead. Anyways a spider web is the sign of a seriously not-maintained room.

Or a basement appartment.  :cry:

Regardless, ever since the hookers/roaches incident, I regard spiders with an acute fondness.

Enemy of my enemy.

Admiral Yi

Leave the little ones be, stomp the medium ones, cower in fear from the big ones.

Josquius

I like having spiders around, the only negative side is when their webs get into inconvenient places or look ugly. I'd rather have them sitting in the corner minding their own business than flying insects bugging me.
This is the UK though bare in mind where we have nothing that can harm you in the slightest. I may well think different if I were in Australia or some other similar place where every living thing is out to kill you.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

I usually catch the larger ones and throw them outside, so that the cat doesn't eat them.

House centepides on the other hand get stomped without mercy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2009, 08:41:58 AM
I usually catch the larger ones and throw them outside, so that the cat doesn't eat them.

When I was about 13, I closed my drapes at night......to find the largest insect I've ever seen, a massive female centipede, peacefully clinging to my drapes.  I've been supremely terrified of them ever since. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on June 29, 2009, 11:35:25 AM

When I was about 13, I closed my drapes at night......to find the largest insect I've ever seen, a massive female centipede, peacefully clinging to my drapes.  I've been supremely terrified of them ever since.

How did you know its gender?  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2009, 11:39:31 AM
For most arthropods the females are bigger, and this motherfucker was huge.  Always presumed it was.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

IF I see a spider I'll go and get the cat... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 28, 2009, 11:15:16 PM
Kill the spiders.  Use lizards to eat up any stray insects.
Then need fisher cats to take care of lizard over population....

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2009, 10:31:59 PM
I leave spiders alone.  They are merely biological alternatives to chemicals we would use in a heartbeat.

I have one nasty spider who grows his web on the outside of the window next to my workstation.  He enjoys making me see him stalk and kill the insects that fly into the web overnight while he and I are sleeping. Bastard!
Sounds more like a pet spider.   :D 

And a pet with a macabre sense of humor.     :menace:

BuddhaRhubarb

I only bother spiders when they web up in stupid area like the doorway, or someplace else i'm going to get webbed. I'm only getting rid of the dumb spiders.
:p

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2009, 11:54:12 AM

IF I see a spider I'll go and get the cat... :shifty:

My cats are afraid of spiders.  Pussies <_<

I tend to kill the spiders in my house as then have a nasty habit of biting me in my sleep. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Queequeg on June 29, 2009, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2009, 11:39:31 AM
For most arthropods the females are bigger, and this motherfucker was huge.  Always presumed it was.

But was it huge compared to the males of its species?

Seeing a big spider doesn't tell you it is a female, unless you see a big particular species of spider, that you know is large compared to others of its species - and this is presuming that your claim about the females being bigger is a valid determinant of sex to begin with.

This ends Berkut's pedantic grump of the day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2009, 12:23:42 PM
Was it this centipede Spellus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg

Horrible.  Mice are vermin, but they're still mammals, and must always be sided with over monstrosities like that thing.