News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spiders

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 10:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

My main "work area", ie computer, desk, bookcases, etc. is in my basement. However, there are also visible spiders encamped around. Should I kill them because they are creepy, or do they serve another more important purpose such as eating unwanted pests?

Weatherman

jimmy olsen

How many spiders are we talking about?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2009, 10:17:37 PM
Just a few here and there. Perhaps 5-10 (visibly) distributed throughout the room with each having its own nook and cranny,

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on June 28, 2009, 10:28:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2009, 10:17:37 PM
Just a few here and there. Perhaps 5-10 (visibly) distributed throughout the room with each having its own nook and cranny,
How often do spiders have to eat? You might have an insect problem, especially since it's likely that there are spiders you can't see.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

I leave spiders alone.  They are merely biological alternatives to chemicals we would use in a heartbeat.

I have one nasty spider who grows his web on the outside of the window next to my workstation.  He enjoys making me see him stalk and kill the insects that fly into the web overnight while he and I are sleeping. Bastard!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I consider spiders to be unwanted pests and therefore, they should die.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2009, 10:31:59 PM
I leave spiders alone.  They are merely biological alternatives to chemicals we would use in a heartbeat.

I have one nasty spider who grows his web on the outside of the window next to my workstation.  He enjoys making me see him stalk and kill the insects that fly into the web overnight while he and I are sleeping. Bastard!

Years of living alone have warped your brain.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Kill the spiders.  Use lizards to eat up any stray insects.

sbr

The local spider union and I have reached an understanding; if they are outside I ignore them, if they are in my house they get flushed down the shitter with no questions asked.

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 28, 2009, 11:15:16 PM
Kill the spiders.  Use lizards to eat up any stray insects.
Lizards are too independent to be reliable.  :(

Besides, spiders don't plot to take over the world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: sbr on June 29, 2009, 12:15:00 AM
if they are in my house they get flushed down the shitter with no questions asked.

Thanks for killing the environment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2009, 12:37:21 AM
Quote from: sbr on June 29, 2009, 12:15:00 AM
if they are in my house they get flushed down the shitter with no questions asked.

Thanks for killing the environment.

What exactly is "killing the environment"?  The one extra flush a week or the spider in the shit pond?

If you are worried about the one extra flush don't, I use much, much less water than the average household. :)

If you are worried about the spider in the shitpond, then I am curious.

Slargos

Spiders are our friends.

That they are there should be a comfort to you, not a worry.

I used to have a house-spider. I named him "spidey". Grew to a massive size and used to scamper across the floor to check out his various webs throughout the appartment. I once tried to feed him a large beetle, but he was not amused. I think it fucked up one of his webs.  :Embarrass:

Tamas

I consider the spiders to be a loose ally in my eternal struggle to exterminate other more annoying insects. So I dont stomp on them outside the house.

But, the bigger (central european sizes, so dont think that big) versions creap me the hell out so if I find a spider in my rooms, it is dead. Anyways a spider web is the sign of a seriously not-maintained room.