News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

Heating up:

QuoteTEGUCIGALPA, July 5 (Reuters) - Honduras' interim President Roberto Micheletti said on Sunday Nicaraguan troops were moving to the mutual frontier and urged Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega to respect Honduran sovereignty.

He gave no further details about troop movements in Nicaragua which shares a border with Honduras to the southeast of the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa.

His comments came as ousted President Manuel Zelaya attempted to fly home a week after he was ousted in a coup. Zelaya is a left-wing ally of Ortega and Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez.

The interim government said it had contacted the Organization of American States to express its willingness to enter dialogue.

The OAS earlier on Sunday suspended Honduras for refusing to reinstate Zelaya. (Reporting by Patrick Markey)

Siege

Who cares about Honduras.

They don't even speak english.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2009, 09:40:37 PM
And predictably they don't let him land.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31736694/ns/world_news-americas/

Why latin-american people are so religious?
Can't they make a political decision without mentioning crosses and blood?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2009, 10:10:44 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2009, 09:40:37 PM
And predictably they don't let him land.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31736694/ns/world_news-americas/

Why latin-american people are so religious?
Can't they make a political decision without mentioning crosses and blood?
It's not like American politicians don't mention God every 2 words...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2009, 12:52:05 PM

Well that is different.  God actually likes us, but he seems to only want to make the Latin American people suffer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:53:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2009, 12:52:05 PM

Well that is different.  God actually likes us, but he seems to only want to make the Latin American people suffer.
Poor Mexico, so far from God, and so close to the United States.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Seems like Hugo Chavez has a lot more influence in the region than we gave him credit for.  He got Obama and the entire OAS to jump through his hoop.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2009, 01:32:49 PM
Seems like Hugo Chavez has a lot more influence in the region than we gave him credit for.  He got Obama and the entire OAS to jump through his hoop.
I think Obama did the right thing.  The dude had two years left in his term, if after two years he barricades himself in the presidential palace and tells his followers to take to the streets, that's the time for the military to take action.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2009, 02:03:06 PM
I think Obama did the right thing.  The dude had two years left in his term, if after two years he barricades himself in the presidential palace and tells his followers to take to the streets, that's the time for the military to take action.

The military didn't have a choice.  It was ordered by the Supreme Court to remove him from office, in accordance with the Honduran constitution.  The system worked-- it wasn't even a coup.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2009, 02:06:54 PM
The military didn't have a choice.  It was ordered by the Supreme Court to remove him from office, in accordance with the Honduran constitution.  The system worked-- it wasn't even a coup.
Really?  That changes things.  What's your source?

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2009, 02:10:58 PM
"Later that day, the Supreme Court issued a statement that it had ordered the army to remove Zelaya from office.[1] "

This is in the posted article, if that can be taken at face value.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2009, 02:03:06 PM
The election was scheduled for November 29th 2009.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on July 07, 2009, 02:20:54 PM
"Later that day, the Supreme Court issued a statement that it had ordered the army to remove Zelaya from office.[1] "

This is in the posted article, if that can be taken at face value.
Which doesn't really address the question of whether the court had the constitutional authority to do so.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2009, 02:10:58 PM

Honduran constitution: http://pdba.georgetown.edu/Constitutions/Honduras/hond05.html

Article 239 translated:
Quote"No citizen who has already served as head of the Executive Branch can be President or Vice-President. Whoever violates this law or proposes its reform, as well as those that support such violation directly or indirectly, will immediately cease in their functions and will be unable to hold any public office for a period of 10 years."

Here's an OpEd from the CSM: http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0702/p09s03-coop.html