News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 31, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 08:27:47 PMI don't understand why and when you announced that you would not recognize the November 29th elections.  Not even the Obama Administration did that.  I think we should call you "The Hamateur" from now on, as you are even more anti-liberal than Obama.

You fail again.

QuoteU.S. May Not Recognize Results of Honduran Vote
Not I who is failing here, Hamateur.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 08:28:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2009, 02:07:06 PM
The fact that Iran has not given in to international pressure on their nuclear program shows they were right all along.
:huh:

I think that it's intended as a sarcastic retort to the idea that the white minority governments of Rhodesia and South Africa were wrong to give in to international pressure and step aside for black majority governments--i.e.,  if it's "wrong" for governments to give in to international pressure, the Iranian government must be "right" for not doing so.

Hansmeister

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 31, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 08:27:47 PMI don't understand why and when you announced that you would not recognize the November 29th elections.  Not even the Obama Administration did that.  I think we should call you "The Hamateur" from now on, as you are even more anti-liberal than Obama.

You fail again.

QuoteU.S. May Not Recognize Results of Honduran Vote
Not I who is failing here, Hamateur.
:lmfao:

tjhis is the best you can do?  I guess since Obama merely threatebn to not recognize democratic elections it is all a-ok.
:lmfao:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on October 31, 2009, 10:11:25 PM
I think that it's intended as a sarcastic retort to the idea that the white minority governments of Rhodesia and South Africa were wrong to give in to international pressure and step aside for black majority governments--i.e.,  if it's "wrong" for governments to give in to international pressure, the Iranian government must be "right" for not doing so.
It was a sarcastic retort to the idea that the Honduran government giving in to international pressure proves that their prior actions were illegitimate.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2009, 12:00:29 AM
It was a sarcastic retort to the idea that the Honduran government giving in to international pressure proves that their prior actions were illegitimate.
Whose idea was that? 

I also think that talking about "the Honduran government" in a case like this is kinda silly.  Which Honduran government? What parts of that government?

I don't think anyone bar the Honduran Army is arguing seriously that the actions of the Army in exiling the country's president were constitutional - and I don't think even they are seriously arguing it. I retrospect, I suspect almost everyone in any branch of the Honduran government wishes they had been less hasty.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 31, 2009, 01:46:41 PM
it sure sucks that the Obamateur celebrates his first forign policy victory by undermining democracy in honduras to reinstate an anti-amrican thug to power in order to appease Hugo Chavez.  Too bad for if the Law Library of Congress has found that his removal from power was legal and constitutional http://www.mcclatchydc.com/257/story/78045.html good for them to refuse to retract their findings when attacked by John Kerry.  All we had to do to force Honduras to reinstate their unpopular and criminal president was to announce that we wouldn't recognize the election in November otherwise.  Bravo, what a victory for democracy!  The Obamateur loved the Iranian election and was opposed to free elections in Honduras.  Welcome to the anti-liberal world view of Obama.

The American pro-authoritarian right . . . supporting military dictatorships in Latin America since 1905.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2009, 12:00:29 AM

And here I was thinking that the Honduran military's illegitimate actions were what gave rise to the international pressure. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

I like that: "the Hamateur".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2009, 12:06:02 PM
And here I was thinking that the Honduran military's illegitimate actions were what gave rise to the international pressure.
Why in the world were you thinking that?  The OAS demanded that the forrmer president be reinstated, which would lead most people to suspect that his removal from office was in some way connected to their ire.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2009, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2009, 12:06:02 PM
Why in the world were you thinking that?  The OAS demanded that the forrmer president be reinstated, which would lead most people to suspect that his removal from office was in some way connected to their ire.

It would also lead most people to believe that the OAS was of the opinion that the removal was not legitimate.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2009, 03:20:30 PM
It would also lead most people to believe that the OAS was of the opinion that the removal was not legitimate.
Anything is possible.  I haven't seen any poll numbers on public perceptions of OAS motivations.  But at least some people, me included, think legitimacy had little or nothing to do with it.  Has the OAS published an opinion that the Honduran constitution was invalid?  That the ruling of the Honduran Supreme Court was illegitimate?  Unless one of those two things is true, then the demand that the former president be reinstated are not based on issues of legitimacy.  I'm familiar with, and agree with, your criticism that expulsion from the country was extrajudicial.  But the redress for this grievous breech is to allow him back into the country, as a private citizen, not to reinstate him in office.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 03, 2009, 12:16:06 PM
I like that: "the Hamateur".

Would work better if he was Hamilcar.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2009, 04:09:12 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2009, 03:20:30 PM
Has the OAS published an opinion that the Honduran constitution was invalid?  That the ruling of the Honduran Supreme Court was illegitimate?  Unless one of those two things is true, then the demand that the former president be reinstated are not based on issues of legitimacy. 

The OAS is not a court; they are not in the business of publishing opinions. 

Like grumbler I can't help but notice that every single government in the free world to weigh on this matter has declared the coup improper and illegitimate.  It is possible that this unanamity stems from the fact that all the governments of the free nations of the world are corrupt and have bad motives, but in my view extremely unlikely.  The fact the the "Law Librarian" of the Library of Congress has a different view does not impress me; nor are the tortured legalisms that are being used sophistically to explain why having the Army physically kidnap a President with several years on his term, and bundle him out of the country without any sort of trial or due process, is a perfectly legitimate procedure consistent with a free democratic society.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

You got your guy back, MM.  Be happy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2009, 08:19:12 PM
The OAS is not a court; they are not in the business of publishing opinions. 

Like grumbler I can't help but notice that every single government in the free world to weigh on this matter has declared the coup improper and illegitimate.  It is possible that this unanamity stems from the fact that all the governments of the free nations of the world are corrupt and have bad motives, but in my view extremely unlikely.  The fact the the "Law Librarian" of the Library of Congress has a different view does not impress me; nor are the tortured legalisms that are being used sophistically to explain why having the Army physically kidnap a President with several years on his term, and bundle him out of the country without any sort of trial or due process, is a perfectly legitimate procedure consistent with a free democratic society.
No due process??  Excuse me?  Was there something improper about the way in which the Honduran Supreme Court reached its decision?  Are there some details of Honduran constitutional law you're privvy to and would like to share?

I am not familiar with the tortured legalisms being used sophistically to explain why the army had to bundle him out of the country.  Perhaps you can share them as well, although as I already indicated I don't think I would be inclined to accept them.  If you still have time after that maybe you can explain why the correct redress for an improper bundling is to reinstate a person, one judged by the highest court in the land as disqualified from holding public office for ten years, in the office of president.