And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2016, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2016, 04:48:22 PM
Did 55km on the shopping bike this evening; not such a good experience, as quite a bit of off-road on an aluminium bike with 60-65psi tyres is a bit, well tiresome.

Good work out I guess, plus I got soaked on the way home.  :rolleyes:

A good full body work out that.

Had a little trip off road too today, feeling spring like I wore my summer shoes which was all fine until my front wheel got stuck in a deep mud hole and I had to step off planting my feet in 20 cm of mud. :(

:D

Though I always wimp out before the mud gets to more than 3-4cm.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

I did a climbing trip this weekend, and had a long car ride back talking about fitness with someone in better shape.

I'm resolving the following:
-no more alcohol (I had basically cut this out years ago, so that isn't a major change)
-no more sugary sodas (will still drink diet sodas)
-8 hours of sleep a night
-I need to start eating breakfast, even if just a protein bar
-I need to do squats and quit ignoring legs in general
-I'm going to migrate to stand up desks

I think the tough one is going to be the 3rd one. I'm posting this after midnight, which is the first bad sign. We'll start tomorrow.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

I have heard about stand up desks for a while now. I know a guy that even has one of those slow treadmills in his, where he works while walking really slowly. I don't think I could manage it and keep my concentration.

Jaron

I signed up for a 5k.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Brazen

Quote from: Jaron on April 04, 2016, 02:51:49 AM
I signed up for a 5k.
:thumbsup:

I've got a full-on NHS health check for the over-40s at the end of the month. According to friends who've had to they basically tell you to loose weight, drink less and put you on statins if your cholesterol's even slightly high. I'm making it a mission not too be nagged on too many fronts!

I do need to step up the age-appropriate exercise and lose some weight. I was the front rank kneeling in a musket volley at the weekend and had trouble getting up!

First 10K of the year at the end of May. Better get in training.

mongers

Did 39 miles on the bike late this afternoon, maybe the furthest I've gone this year.  :blush:

Is the whole treating normal people like athletes and insisting they stay 'hydrated' a bit of a marketing myth?

Because I took a 3/4 of a litre with me and ended up only drinking something like 200-250ml of lemon squash, but I didn't expire.  :P

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on April 04, 2016, 02:38:06 AM
I have heard about stand up desks for a while now. I know a guy that even has one of those slow treadmills in his, where he works while walking really slowly. I don't think I could manage it and keep my concentration.

I am standing up right now  (I don't have a treadmill or would care to have one) and I have a balance disc that I stand on a couple of times a day. And I pace my cubicle a bit in the afternoons to try and stay awake. Mostly I just alternate sitting and standing all day.

I also spin my chair while standing and talking on the phone. So I spin my chair. And spin it. And spin it. And spin it. And spin it....
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2016, 04:47:56 PM
Did 39 miles on the bike late this afternoon, maybe the furthest I've gone this year.  :blush:

Is the whole treating normal people like athletes and insisting they stay 'hydrated' a bit of a marketing myth?

Because I took a 3/4 of a litre with me and ended up only drinking something like 200-250ml of lemon squash, but I didn't expire.  :P

I gulp down 1,5 litres during a 90 minute workout.  :Embarrass:

Eddie Teach

Your gym is probably considerably warmer than the English countryside.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Just walked 7 miles in 2 hours, 46 minutes and 23 seconds. 3.278 were up and down a local hiking trail. I'm totally wiped out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2016, 03:43:46 AM
Just walked 7 miles in 2 hours, 46 minutes and 23 seconds. 3.278 were up and down a local hiking trail. I'm totally wiped out.

:cool:

I'd feel the same, that's further than I've walked in a long time.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2016, 03:43:46 AM

Tim, I feel like I give you a hard time a lot, but mongers comments nonwithstanding (he seems to have an unusual relationship with non bike forms of transportation), but didn't you try to sign up for the marines a while back? In OCS they do 5 mile runs in the 40:00-42:30 minute range. Unless the trail involved an elevation gain ~1 km or if you were carrying a heavy pack, for a youngish guy like yourself, you shouldn't be wiped out afterwards.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

I tried to join the Marines when I was 18. That was 15 years ago, and it was before I had bone cancer requiring three kinds of chemotherapy and the complete surgical reconstruction of my lower right leg (a leg that still contains two steel plates and seventeen steel screws) after which I needed 14 months of rehab to walk again. Physically I can not run and can not jump, all I can do for exercise is walk, or are you forgetting those points?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Nothing but excuses from TO :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2016, 12:00:21 AM
Nothing but excuses from TO :rolleyes:

Alright, lets pump your body full of poison and then remove 4 inches of your tibia, replace it with bone from a cadevar and bolt it in place with metal plates and screws, and you can get back to me in a few years and tell me how easy getting back in shape was.

1 Karma Chameleon point