News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Did 15km of off-road coming home, arrived back at 5.30pm and sat down; about to get changed, but notice there'd still be an hour and a bit of light left, so went out and did a 30 km loop onto the top of the forest and back. :)

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

So this is connected to celedhring's post...

Frequently after work I have 2 hours for the gym - which is 1.5 hours after changing, etc. I do some moderate exercise most mornings (maybe 20 minutes) just to jumpstart the day, but this is the main gym time I have. I also spend maybe 6-7 hours a week climbing, but that is somewhat social and also not so balanced.

So in my hour and a half, I spend about 5 minutes stretching (which has suddenly become necessary, not sure if I'm getting old or just tearing up my back somehow), and then run for 47 minutes on a treadmill. I go fairly hard, so after I do some more light stretching and cool down for about 10 minutes.

Now I have less than half an hour. I'm trying to go core crazy because my core seems weak, so I'm doing deadbugs, mountain climbers, pushups, and incline crunches (in addition to sit ups and crunches in the AM). I'm also doing back extensions, and for some reason my lower back has started really hurting. I think it is the effect of the core exercises rather than the back extensions, but who knows.

Anyway, the result is that I then have almost no time left for weights. And my back hurts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

My sessions are usually like this:

- 25min elliptical. I go very hard.
- 45min of weights; two muscle groups every session, changing things up from time to time. I usually rest 2min between series, 3x10 series.
- 5min ab crunches.
- 5min stretching.
- 20min treadmill. I'm usually a bit tired at this point, so I don't go as hard, maybe 75% of what I do at the elliptical.

I go in the mornings, and I finish right by lunchtime. 4 times a week. Sometimes I can't fit in the 4th session, but I never go below 3. That is the only exercise I make throughout the week. I'm considering adding some mild cardio during my rest days (go for a run through the neighborhood).

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2016, 04:17:54 PM
My sessions are usually like this:

- 25min elliptical. I go very hard.
- 45min of weights; two muscle groups every session, changing things up from time to time. I usually rest 2min between series, 3x10 series.
- 5min ab crunches.
- 5min stretching.
- 20min treadmill. I'm usually a bit tired at this point, so I don't go as hard, maybe 75% of what I do at the elliptical.

I go in the mornings, and I finish right by lunchtime. 4 times a week. Sometimes I can't fit in the 4th session, but I never go below 3. That is the only exercise I make throughout the week. I'm considering adding some mild cardio during my rest days (go for a run through the neighborhood).

Something that I've found I really like is to fit something into my morning routine. As you go in the morning, this may not work.

I got the idea of getting up and going pee, then doing a set of pushups, then brushing teeth, then doing another set of pushups, then shaving, then doing another set of pushups, then showering.

I have modified this so that now I get up and pee and brush my teeth, then do 5 sets on a press arm machine following by a nearly max set of crunches, using the 90 second break between sets to get my clothes out and packing for the day, then after saving and showering doing 5 sets on a pull down machine and doing a nearly max set of situps.

I also used to spend 15 minutes after lunch going up and down stairs, but I've kind of quit that.

I think of it as stealing workout time. Especially with the morning workouts, I can make use of the time between sets to be productive (by getting ready), and I dont have to rearrange my day.

On the 3x10 sets, that seems to be almost universally recommended, and I do those sets, but I tend to get much faster results when I go heavier. What have you been finding?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

celedhring

I haven't tried going heavier, but I tried going lighter. Like 3x15 or 4x15. Didn't get nearly as much result compared to when I switched back to 3x10.

I have been playing with 1x8+2x10 lately, though. Although I've been doing it for too little to judge yet.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2016, 02:47:08 AM
I haven't tried going heavier, but I tried going lighter. Like 3x15 or 4x15. Didn't get nearly as much result compared to when I switched back to 3x10.

I have been playing with 1x8+2x10 lately, though. Although I've been doing it for too little to judge yet.

I'd worry about 1x8 + 2x10 just because you heaviest set is the first set when your muscles aren't warmed up (not that it is a big difference, so probably okay).

I think I've gotten the best results with 5x5. If I haven't warmed up I'll at least go lighter and more reps on the first two steps to do that.

celedhring

Well, the idea is putting the biggest lift when the muscle is not as sore. But it's just stuff I have been playing around with, I get the feeling I'm plateauing and I need to change things up a bit. I'll probably ask a trainer for a new regime after the holidays.

I seem to be blessed regarding muscle injuries; besides my back problems (which have improved significantly since I strengthened my core) I haven't had a single muscle injury in literally decades.

mongers

Bump.

Didn't do too much this month, around 370 miles on the shopping bike.

HisMajestyBOB

Last year at this time I had gained weight (from 185 lbs to ~190/195) but was still able to run a half-marathon. This year I'm at 205 lbs and have been having trouble with hitting even 3 miles. Fuck grad school  <_<
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Liep

318km to Jutland over 3 days. Goddamn wind.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Becoming really hard to stick to a diet when you are the son of a Catholic Latin family. I feel like there's a family celebration with a big lunch every other week. Easter last week, my dad's Saint this week, my own Saint in two weeks, my brother's birthday the following week, ... won't catch a breather until May.

Legbiter

:D

If these are coming up every few days you should do a fasted workout before eating. Show up glycogen-depleted and give zero fucks. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, convert to Calvinism.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2016, 05:51:21 AM
:D

If these are coming up every few days you should do a fasted workout before eating. Show up glycogen-depleted and give zero fucks. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, convert to Calvinism.

I will try that. The fasted workout part I mean, not Calvinism.  :D

mongers

Did 55km on the shopping bike this evening; not such a good experience, as quite a bit of off-road on an aluminium bike with 60-65psi tyres is a bit, well tiresome.

Good work out I guess, plus I got soaked on the way home.  :rolleyes:

Liep

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2016, 04:48:22 PM
Did 55km on the shopping bike this evening; not such a good experience, as quite a bit of off-road on an aluminium bike with 60-65psi tyres is a bit, well tiresome.

Good work out I guess, plus I got soaked on the way home.  :rolleyes:

A good full body work out that.

Had a little trip off road too today, feeling spring like I wore my summer shoes which was all fine until my front wheel got stuck in a deep mud hole and I had to step off planting my feet in 20 cm of mud. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk