News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Almost Totaled by ... a Bear

Started by Malthus, June 27, 2009, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The short version: driving back from a day in the country (Oro county, just north of Barrie, Ontario) we turned onto a paved road when suddenly a bear loped out of the bush and right in front of our car.

My wife was driving - she hit the breaks and that bear took off across the road like it had a firecracker up its ass.

We came very close to plowing into it, and god knows what kind of damage hitting a full-sized bear would do to the car. Scared us. Sure as hell scared that bear.

Anyway, it's the first time I've seen a bear that far south. They are getting much more common in southern Ontario - my dad sees them all the time in Oro county.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Well, if he wasn't wearing his rainbow shirt, he would have blended in with the wildlife.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on June 27, 2009, 09:42:08 PM
Well, if he wasn't wearing his rainbow shirt, he would have blended in with the wildlife.

I think you mean "blended in with everyday americans."

That's freaky, Malthus. Glad both you all went unharmed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Yikes, sounds scary. Was Carl in the car with you?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

An actual bear?

Languish as skewed me I was expecting a fat hairy gay man.  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2009, 09:30:32 PM
We came very close to plowing into it, and god knows what kind of damage hitting a full-sized bear would do to the car. Scared us. Sure as hell scared that bear.
:lol:
My parents were camping up in Maine one year, and a bear ran out of the woods and plowed into the side of their van, dented the shit out of it.

They and the rest of the traffic stopped, and there was the bear, sitting in the middle of the road with little vans circling his head, damned near knocked the fuck out.  Took him about 5 minutes to get his shit straight, and was on his way.

Caliga

I almost hit a deer about a year ago driving home from an after-work party.  Damn vermin  :mad:

Princesca's cousin did hit a deer a while back.  Once he got home it occurred to him that he could butcher it (he hit it with a glancing blow and only its neck was broken), so he drove back to the accident site but someone else had already collected it.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 27, 2009, 10:07:32 PM

Yup, and his 4 year old cousin. Neither was all that impressed by seeing an actual bear in the wild. They would be if they were a bit older I think.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 27, 2009, 10:14:01 PM
An actual bear?

Languish as skewed me I was expecting a fat hairy gay man.  :lol:

Well, it was fat and hairy all right. Couldn't make a guess as to its orientation.  :D

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2009, 10:29:20 PM
My parents were camping up in Maine one year, and a bear ran out of the woods and plowed into the side of their van, dented the shit out of it.

They and the rest of the traffic stopped, and there was the bear, sitting in the middle of the road with little vans circling his head, damned near knocked the fuck out.  Took him about 5 minutes to get his shit straight, and was on his way.

The fuckers definitely do not always look both ways.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2009, 06:53:43 AM

Princesca's cousin did hit a deer a while back.  Once he got home it occurred to him that he could butcher it (he hit it with a glancing blow and only its neck was broken), so he drove back to the accident site but someone else had already collected it.  :(

Hyuk hyuk!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

and god knows what kind of damage hitting a full-sized bear would do to the car. Scared us. Sure as hell scared that bear.
More than a deer.  Your average black bear is about 3-4 times more massive than a deer, and solidly constructed.  The relatively low centre of mass on a bear on the move would work to your advantage, as the engine compartment of your vehicle would absorb a lot of the energy, and cars these days are built to crush the front on impact anyways.  Deer, on the other hand, can fall onto the hood and bounce into the compartment.  However, it'd be much less dangerous than a moose, who is not only twice as massive, but constructed in such a way as to fall down through your windshield or the roof of the car.

Depending on how you hit it, you'd almost certainly total your car.  However, thanks to the safety features of a modern car, you might be able to escape with minor injuries.  Of course, it's always hard to tell with car crashes.  If you're going to hit an animal, it's best to make it something like a weasel or a mouse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2009, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 27, 2009, 10:07:32 PM

Yup, and his 4 year old cousin. Neither was all that impressed by seeing an actual bear in the wild. They would be if they were a bit older I think.

Friends drove from Calgary to Vancouver and saw, like, close to a dozen bears. And bald eagles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points