Main Menu

Almost Totaled by ... a Bear

Started by Malthus, June 27, 2009, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: sbr on June 28, 2009, 09:45:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 28, 2009, 09:06:47 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 28, 2009, 08:49:55 PM
There are lots of cattle sitting on rural roads in Hong Kong.  Farmers used to keep cattle to help with the work decades ago.  They let the cattle run wild after they no longer need them.  So they continue to multiply to this day.  They love roads because the surface is warmer.
And there's no natural predators to take care of the cattle, because the Chinamen have eaten all of their penises.
Whose penises?  The cattle's or the Chinamen's?
I was thinking the predators.  Then again, it could be that Chinamen aren't too choosy about the kinds of penis they'll eat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Whoah Malthus, so many bears - that's becoming an unbearable situation! Glad you all weren't hurt though; that could have been pretty dangerous.

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on June 29, 2009, 07:48:56 AM
Whoah Malthus, so many bears - that's becoming an unbearable situation! Glad you all weren't hurt though; that could have been pretty dangerous.

They are getting more common - we just have to grin and bear it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2009, 08:33:38 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 29, 2009, 07:48:56 AM

They are getting more common - we just have to grin and bear it.
;)

crazy canuck

It a bit early yet for the bears to come down from the local mountains.  There are lots of berries up there right now to keep them well away from populated areas.  But if you hike up the mountains you will be sure to either see bears or signs that they were recently on the trail.

This weekend my oldest son and I went mountain biking along a river that feeds into the north end of Indian Arm - you can only access the trail by boat.  There were tonnes of berries and we passed four separate bears chowing down.  This time of year, if they notice at all, they just look to make sure you dont try to take any of their berries.

In Late September and October they start coming down the mountain.  If anyone leaves their trash cans out during that time of year they will be sure to find a bear in their yard eating the contents and they can also be sure that they will recieve a very irrate phone call from their neighbours.  Once a bear indentifies a place as having food they will come back every day for a week or two and just hang out waiting to see if there will be more.

For the person that was talking about eagles - during salmon spawning season you can take a boat ride up to the area we were mountain biking and see hundreds of bald eagles in a stretch of river that is less then 1km, feasting on the dead and dying salmon.  Lots of bears too.

@Malthus, Bears dont worry me much because they are generally smart and agile enough to get out of they way.  The thing that really scare me are moose.  They seem to have the mentality of a linebacker and look to get hit.  Thankfully you have to travel well north of Vancouver before you encounter them.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 03:26:02 PM
@Malthus, Bears dont worry me much because they are generally smart and agile enough to get out of they way.  The thing that really scare me are moose.  They seem to have the mentality of a linebacker and look to get hit.  Thankfully you have to travel well north of Vancouver before you encounter them.

What scares me even more are the bison.  They have the mentality of a tree stump, a nice dark colour that doesn't show up at all at night, and are absolutely fearless when standing out on the highway.  They also weigh a hell of a lot and will do serious damage to your car.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

[car salesman]Do you still drive that unsafe Ford Taurus, threatening your child and niece? [/car salesman]

:P

Iormlund

I was curious about the Taurus as well, but decided to see if you'd smell a sale opportunity. :P

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 28, 2009, 12:02:32 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 28, 2009, 11:51:43 AM
I've hit a deer...in a U-Haul...fun.

Had a friend hit a pig one time, that caused some major damage...I understand hitting a bison is not good...

And they don't like Spaniards.

QuoteAssociated Press - June 24, 2009 7:55 PM ET

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYO. (AP) - A 50-year-old woman from Spain was butted and tossed in the air Wednesday by a bull bison in Yellowstone National Park.

Park officials say it happened about 11:25 a.m. as the woman and her husband were using a pay phone at the Canyon visitor area.

Witnesses said two bull bison walked down the road, passing within 20 feet of the couple, who were facing away from the road and did not see the bison. 1 of the bison left the road, walked up behind the woman and butted her into the air.

Other visitors took the injured woman to the front desk at Canyon Lodge. She was then taken by ambulance to the Lake Clinic, where she was treated for minor injuries and released.

Park officials did not identify the woman or say where in Spain she was from.
How ironic, a Spaniard coming to US to be attacked by a bull.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2009, 04:45:04 PMHow ironic, a Spaniard coming to US to be attacked by a bull.

That's hilarious.  Serves the bitch right.  The animals know.