Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

They do have a whole Zen thing going on.  I wouldn't discount eastern philosophy in the film making.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 09:53:35 AMHeh, they spend half the movie inserting clues that she's Han and Leia's daughter, and the other half inserting clues that she's Luke's daughter.

Why not split the difference? Rey is Luke and Leia's daughter.  :P

Jabba the Hutt is a possibility as well.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Savonarola

Quote from: Legbiter on December 21, 2015, 07:46:10 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2015, 10:09:06 PMI don't see it as a reboot of ANH, like some of you do.

It is what it is.  ;)

:lol:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it today.  I don't know why they bothered with all the secrecy; if you've seen the original Star Wars, you've seen this one.

Even with its utter lack of originality, it was an enjoyable experience.  I'll see the next one at least.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Quote from: Legbiter on December 22, 2015, 04:14:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 09:53:35 AMHeh, they spend half the movie inserting clues that she's Han and Leia's daughter, and the other half inserting clues that she's Luke's daughter.

Thank you for that visual.   :yuk: :x
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on December 22, 2015, 04:14:17 PM

Ewww ...  :yuk:

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

You guys are missing the obvious - she's an in vitro offspring of Luke and Han.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2015, 04:22:04 PM
You guys are missing the obvious - she's an in vitro offspring of Luke and Han.

I knew the gays would be to blame somehow.  :mad:

Legbiter

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 22, 2015, 04:20:10 PMThank you for that visual.   :yuk: :x

Just laying out the options man. She did get around a bit in the last trilogy.  -_-

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on December 22, 2015, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 22, 2015, 04:20:10 PMThank you for that visual.   :yuk: :x

Just laying out the options man. She did get around a bit in the last trilogy.  -_-

Perhaps Hutts have a freakishly long gestation period ...  :hmm:

Thankfully, Rey appears to have taken after her mother's side in appearance. Unless, like southern Italian women, she suddenly switches when she reaches her thirties.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2015, 04:45:39 PM
A competent boxticker by the director and overall a serviceable reboot of the first Star Wars film and franchise. Finn and Poe were ok characters, the chick was a total Mary Sue. The little droid stole most of the scenes it was in.

I thought that first Rey came across like Kaylee Frye (from Firefly); which I thought would have been a clever as Captain Mal owes a great deal to Han Solo.  As the movie progressed it became obvious that she was Mary Sue Skywalker.

Did Maz Kanata remind anyone else of Edna Mode, the super fashion designer from "The Incredibles"?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Rey was obviously a retread female Luke Skywalker, but I liked her better. Less whiny (even though she has more reason to be  ;) ). I didn't think she was a Mary Sue, any more than Luke was.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 05:36:57 PM
Rey was obviously a retread female Luke Skywalker, but I liked her better. Less whiny (even though she has more reason to be  ;) ). I didn't think she was a Mary Sue, any more than Luke was.

Well, Luke needed a bit more training before he started doing Force tricks. She certainly was a Mary Sue. I liked her character, mind. I expect she will be de-Mary Sued in Ep VIII, like it happened to Luke in Ep V

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 05:36:57 PM

Luke actually failed his way to success, only wheeled out like an idiot savant for certain set pieces where his force powers were required and carefully kept alive by the more competent around him. First he got beat up by the Tuskan raiders, saved by Obi, saved again by Obi at the cantina from those two ruffians, saved by Han Solo at the trench run in the end, saved by Han on Hoth, etc, etc, etc. Even in the end Luke utterly fails to actually defeat the Emperor, only saved by Vader.

Rey on the other hand is a hobo in god mode from the first minute, expert force user, brilliant pilot, mechanic, instant best buddies with Han, light saber virtuoso, yaddayadda.

She is easier on the eyes though than Luke was, agreed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on December 22, 2015, 05:48:55 PM
Luke actually failed his way to success, only wheeled out like an idiot savant for certain set pieces where his force powers were required and carefully kept alive by the more competent around him. First he got beat up by the Tuskan raiders, saved by Obi, saved again by Obi at the cantina from those two ruffians, saved by Han Solo at the trench run in the end, saved by Han on Hoth, etc, etc, etc. Even in the end Luke utterly fails to actually defeat the Emperor, only saved by Vader.

Pudding: overegged.  Luke diced up that Walker pretty nicely.

edit: woops