Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Legbiter

A competent boxticker by the director and overall a serviceable reboot of the first Star Wars film and franchise. Finn and Poe were ok characters, the chick was a total Mary Sue. The little droid stole most of the scenes it was in.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2015, 02:13:37 PM
I might even buy the novelization myself  :blush:

I've been thinking about it. Alan Dean Foster is a pretty competent author; and I recall I really liked his novelization of ANH which he ghostwrote for Lucas and his novelizationsBlack Hole, Alien, and Aliens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I'm also thinking about getting Lost Stars: http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens/dp/1484724984

Yes, it's Young Adult, but the setup (a Rebel and Imperial in love, and spanning the events of the original trilogy and the aftermath) sounds pretty decent, and it's gotten overall good reviews.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2015, 02:13:37 PM
I might even buy the novelization myself  :blush:

I've been thinking about it. Alan Dean Foster is a pretty competent author; and I recall I really liked his novelization of ANH which he ghostwrote for Lucas and his novelizationsBlack Hole, Alien, and Aliens.

He's a hack, but a talented one.  Never read any of his novelization of movies but I did read his Humanx and a weird novel about rabbit people land on earth with wood paneled space ships.  I might have liked that one because it had a little flip cartoon in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2015, 06:59:31 PM
How many reboots has Abrams done now?  Three?

Just one? MI and Star Wars were just sequels. Same actors, plot continuity and such.

Kleves

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2015, 04:45:39 PM
Finn and Poe were ok characters, the chick was a total Mary Sue. The little droid stole most of the scenes it was in.
I quite liked Finn and Poe. They're characters I would want to follow through future films (though maybe they could make Poe have a little more difficulty mowing down TIEs). Han was another character I enjoyed, but...

Agree 100% on Rey though.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ender

Quote from: Liep on December 16, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
Also, Rey is pretty much the most bad ass female hero I've ever seen.
Oh pleez.
No 100 lbs sexy female can beat a 200 lbs combat trained male.
Dream on.

FunkMonk

Film was great and I will watch it again soon. My only worry now is if they don't make something new with these characters. TFA was a little too on the nose about being a reboot of the the original and if they try to reboot Empire and Jedi then they'll ruin the good start they've made for themselves. Now that they've "saved" Star Wars they need to take it somewhere new.

Rey, Finn, Po, and Kylo Ren are all good and interesting characters that deserve their own stories. Don't retread the entire thing, Disney. Be brave.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Tonitrus

I don't see it as a reboot of ANH, like some of you do.

Sure it has the Death Star/Trench run vibe...but ANH set itself easily as a standalone film (that was probably in case it was a bust)...but also one with a very happy/positive/heroic ending.  This one had a very mixed/victorious-but-sad tone at the end.  With Han's death, it felt more like a ESB ending than ANH.  And, of course, it's counting on a sequel.

FunkMonk

I just don't want them to fuck it up. But it's their cash cow now, they can do what they want with it.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2015, 10:09:44 PM
I just don't want them to fuck it up. But it's their cash cow now, they can do what they want with it.
Oh neither do I, just the chances of hollywood studio doing something brave is a refreshing but vain hope my Flip-i-can friend.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son