Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Saw it today.

Definitely a good movie, but hard to unpack it from all the baggage that comes along with being a Star Wars movie.

I generally agree with many of the comments, but one I disagree with is the notion that the movie needed more explanation and exposition.  That's one of the things Ep 4 did so well - it dropped you right into the middle of the complex universe and didn't explain any of it.  It threw terms like jedi, sith, the force, Clone Wars, Galactic Senate at you and never bothered to explain a one.  And compare that to the prequels, which did explain the hell out of everything.

I agree the call-outs to earlier movies were a tad over-the-top.  Some of the plot did seem to overly rely on amazing co-incidences, but I'm not sure it was any worse that the original.

One pet peeve though - Finn goes back to Jakku and, out of the entire planet, just so happens to land right where Rey is.  It irks me because Abrams did the exact same thing in Star Trek (2009). :rolleyes:

I do hope that, having set up these new characters, they can now take them in a slightly more original direction.  But I can't wait for Ep 8. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Oh, Kylo Ren is a fascinating bad guy.  When you think about it, probably more interesting than even Vader was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Kylo Ren could not exist without Vader.  I suppose he's more interesting as a refinement, but I find it hard to classify him without including the Vader influences on my perception of him.

He's an excellent villain, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Also, while I enjoyed the movie, I really do wish that someone other than Abrams got to handle it.  Maybe it's for the best that he did and that they didn't hand it off to someone untried, but...I am really eager to see what Rian Johnson does in 2017 with Episode VIII.  There is no way we'll see a repeat of themes and plot devices a la Episode TFA...right?

Anyway, 8/10 from me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

I will also agree with the Snoke hate.  Mainly in that I think he is a weaker "arch villian" than the Emperor was, and that he is mostly unnecessary. 

He immediately looked to me like a rejected Voldomort costume concept, the Emperor was a much better developed nemesis.  And if not solely for the reason that apparently Kylo Ren needs some kind of "teacher"...I think he could have worked just as well as a Luke-trained half-crazed, wanna be Sith lord with some ingrown inner conflict.

Depending on what they develop for him later, I thought he was kinda lame.

For the politics plot point...was I confused in that the movie seemed to portray the New Republic as basically existing on only one solar system? 

Habbaku

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2015, 12:26:26 AM
For the politics plot point...was I confused in that the movie seemed to portray the New Republic as basically existing on only one solar system?

The whole political side of the movie was a giant mess.  The Resistance/Rebellion/Republic stuff was basically hand-waved and the numbers were bizarre, at least to me.  The quotes of something like "we're lost if the Resistance fleet is destroyed" and "we've lost half our fleet!" after a few X-wings were destroyed made me wonder what the hell was going on.  Is the Resistance comprised of basically a single, large squadron?  Why is it so tiny, and how could it possibly go up against the seeming legions of First Order TIEs and ships and hope to win?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2015, 12:34:09 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2015, 12:26:26 AM

The whole political side of the movie was a giant mess.  The Resistance/Rebellion/Republic stuff was basically hand-waved and the numbers were bizarre, at least to me.  The quotes of something like "we're lost if the Resistance fleet is destroyed" and "we've lost half our fleet!" after a few X-wings were destroyed made me wonder what the hell was going on.  Is the Resistance comprised of basically a single, large squadron?  Why is it so tiny, and how could it possibly go up against the seeming legions of First Order TIEs and ships and hope to win?

Yeah, basically (according to web sources), the Empire got a Versailles treaty, and the Republic said, "Good enough," and went about its business. In the Unknown Regions, the First Order secretly rebuilt. Meanwhile, some veterans decided that they need to keep tabs on the remaining Imps and the First Order. They're only covertly supported by some sympathizers the Republic (it seems most see them as relics of the war who are a threat to peace?).

Which begs the question how the landscape changes with the Republic capital destroyed. Can the Republic still mount an organized defense? Or are they shattered and easily taken over by the First Order? Will there be open war, or will they surrender? Will the leaders of the Resistance (Leia, Ackbar) lead the war effort? I guess we will find out in May 2017.

In the end you could argue that the First Order largely reached its objective. They built Starkiller base - its first shot took out their primary target (and General Hux amusingly looked like he was creaming his pants when the weapon fired), and they only had enough sun left for a second shot, so this weapon was built for a very specific one time use in mind (which is IMHO why Snoke doesn't seem too fazed when it's destroyed).

Luke and Rey searching for the First Temple (vs First Order?) during their training would make for a decent story, accompanied by the military efforts of the Republicsistance against First Order run by Finn, Poe, Chewie etc. I expect that we'll get a story about Luke having to overcome his fear of failing again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Ender on December 20, 2015, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 16, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
Also, Rey is pretty much the most bad ass female hero I've ever seen.
Oh pleez.
No 100 lbs sexy female can beat a 200 lbs combat trained male.
Dream on.

I don't see the relevance of this to a Star Wars movie.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

Best guide to the cameos I've seen, though I'm sure there were plenty of other well-known actors in the background. Including most of the GoT cast.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/photos/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-cameos-daniel-craig-ewan-mcgregor-kevin-smith

Brazen

The First order/Nazi analogy was extraordinarily heavy handed, what with the rally and all; far worse that any Empire shenanigans.

And if you're on a planet whose sun's energy has been entirely used up, it being a bit dark and cold would be the least of your worries.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Syt

Rey doesn't meet Max von Sydow, and it's not confirmed (yet) that Kylo Ren and Rey and cousins.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Max von Sydow as Lor San Tekka smacks of lazy character replacement code.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Ender on December 20, 2015, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 16, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
Also, Rey is pretty much the most bad ass female hero I've ever seen.
Oh pleez.
No 100 lbs sexy female can beat a 200 lbs combat trained male.
Dream on.

My own headcanon is that lightsaber fights involve channeling tons of force energy, so muscular strength takes a back seat to force strength. That would explain Yoda, too.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?