Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Leia and Han seem to know who Snoke is just fine, so he isn't a "secret leader" behind the First Order.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 11:28:13 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 11:25:32 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 21, 2015, 10:39:17 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 10:10:33 AM
Snoke, in addition to having a stupid name, looks like Gollum or something. Why would anyone follow him?

And Yoda looks like a muppet. Some people feel like following him, nonetheless.

Yoda was not the emperor, or supreme leader, or really any position that required massed followers to believe that he was their "leader". In fact, I always assumed that the reason he was really only a leader for Jedi was very much that his stature and weirdness would make it not likely that he could be a popular leader.

He was not particularly charismatic to the masses.

Charisma is important when it comes to populist leaders.

Yet in the prequels he leads the Republic Army  :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

How I hate those films.

Again, not the same thing at all. You can be assigned to lead an army without being particularly charismatic, and if it is a professional army, they will likely follow just fine.

But the idea that the "Supreme Leader" of a Nazi-like fascist political organization is this weird ass fucked up little/big troll thing is just silly.

He still felt utterly out of place commanding troops in the field.

Snoke was a weak character, though, I agree with that. It's also strange that an obviously racist organization (there's not a single alien in the First Order ranks) would follow a non-human.

Berkut

Yeah, he is referenced, IIRC, as the "Supreme Leader". That suggests that there is some awareness of him amongst the masses.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

I think criticism of Snoke's character is warranted but I also like the fact that Abrams just plopped us into the middle of this "new" galaxy without much of an explanation of what the hell is going on and who is what and why. They could have probably had just a few lines explaining this or that but there is a danger in having too much expository dialogue (the prequels). Yeah,  there was no equivalent scene to the opening of A New Hope, but that is a pretty tall order to emulate.

It's worth remembering that this is only just part one of a new trilogy and I'm sure Disney has a bazillion star wars spinoffs in the meat grinder.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 21, 2015, 12:07:28 PM
I think criticism of Snoke's character is warranted but I also like the fact that Abrams just plopped us into the middle of this "new" galaxy without much of an explanation of what the hell is going on and who is what and why. They could have probably had just a few lines explaining this or that but there is a danger in having too much expository dialogue (the prequels). Yeah,  there was no equivalent scene to the opening of A New Hope, but that is a pretty tall order to emulate.

It's worth remembering that this is only just part one of a new trilogy and I'm sure Disney has a bazillion star wars spinoffs in the meat grinder.

A major Spanish newspaper carries a very apt headline today: "There's gonna be a Star Wars film every year until we all die".

Liep

I think there need to be at least 3 4 consecutive horrible Star Wars movie before I abandon the franchise.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on December 21, 2015, 12:36:08 PM
at least 3 4 consecutive horrible Star Wars movie

I see what you did there.

I'm just afraid they will dilute the story. But well, I'll go with it for now. It's going to be the EU, but in film. We need somebody to adapt KOTOR.

Barrister

There was an article I recall reading about Abrams working with Kasdan - that Kasdan was very much a proponent of "show, don't tell", and less exposition in general.  And it definitely tells in the movie - and I think it's a move for the better.

Yeah, Snoke doesn't really make any sense.  But we haven't really been given enough information about him.  Remember we weren't even told of the Emperor's existence until Empire, and then his involvement was about the same as Snoke's was in this movie.  We'll learn more about him soon enough - Episode 8 is due out May 2017.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 12:11:01 PM

A major Spanish newspaper carries a very apt headline today: "There's gonna be a Star Wars film every year until we all die".

I have to say though - while this movie has me pumped for the major Star Wars Episodes, the new Rogue One, or the upcoming Han Solo prequel, sound very much like "wait till it comes out on streaming video" to me...

celedhring

Apparently Poe Dameron was set to die in the original draft of the script, which would explain the really clumsy way in which he "reappears".

http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-death

Pedrito

I saw it yesterday with the kids.

I liked it a lot, they loved it, and loved even all the quoting of episodes 4-6 (from the lightsaber force-gripped from the snow mound, to the manoeuvre the Falcon does when entering the hulk of the Empire's shipwreck, without pointing out the more obvious).

My thoughts:
- how many million (or billion) workers were needed to build the Starkiller? Is it possible that no one in the galaxy had a clue about the construction going on on the planet?
- Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. And she's a badass and I love her character.
- E.T. is running a tavern? And how did s/he/it get Luke's lightsaber?

More to come

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 11:25:32 AM

He was not particularly charismatic to the masses.

Charisma is important when it comes to populist leaders.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away dressing in burlap and looking like a misshapen prune gave you real star power.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Pedrito on December 21, 2015, 01:23:26 PM
- Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. And she's a badass and I love her character.

That would be super lame. How could she be their daughter without them knowing they had a daughter?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

My daughter seemed to like the Rey character.  I'm generally okay with her but the instant-expert at swordfighting thing bugged me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2015, 02:51:32 PM
My daughter seemed to like the Rey character.  I'm generally okay with her but the instant-expert at swordfighting thing bugged me.

She wasn't an "instant expert" though.  She had already proven herself as a more than capable melee fighter with her staff.  Plus Rey had, at that point, had been shot by Chewie, had already had a gruelling fight with Finn (whose instant fighting skills are much more suspect, even though he ultimately lost), and had his confidence shaken by Rey when she resisted him / could out-force-pull the lightsabre.

The lightsabre duel actually kind of impressed me.  Again after the prequels, where Lucas just tried to out-do each prior lightsabre battle with more blades, more spinning, and more jumping, this battle actually seemed much more realistic and not just delibertaely hitting the blades against each other.