Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Liep on December 16, 2015, 10:40:48 AM
There's no gore, but they do aim better than in the first 6 movies.

5 years is maybe too young as there is more evil in this one than the others. And no ewoks to counter it.
There were kids aged two or three in the showing I went to, presumably so they can say later "I was there". It's too long for them to concentrate or go without a toilet break.

celedhring

Actually, me and a friend of mine were wondering if the scene where Finn gets blood smeared on his helmet was the most blood that's ever been shown in a Star Wars film. Is that true?

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2015, 08:59:59 AM

Actually, me and a friend of mine were wondering if the scene where Finn gets blood smeared on his helmet was the most blood that's ever been shown in a Star Wars film. Is that true?

It could very well be. The slaughter of the villagers also seemed a step further than what the franchise has done before.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

I wanted to see General Leia get all angry and vengeful when Had died. Kylo Ren was like some Harry Potter sixth form bully. And yes Phasma was desperately underused. Crap name anyhow.

Syt

I think the goriest scene was probably the cut off arm in the cantina in Ep. IV:

The Wampa in ESB-SE also had blood added, but I think it was more cartoonish. Later movies seem to get around this by having the wounds cauterized.

In TFA it obviously serves to make sure Finn stands out, and to have him touched by blood the first time (they later say it's his first combat assignment; and he worked sanitation before) and be horrified by it.

Btw - I agree with most faults you point out about the movie's script, but at the moment I just don't mind them enough. That might change when the "high" of the movie wears off for me. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2015, 09:09:59 AM

I think the goriest scene was probably the cut off arm in the cantina in Ep. IV:

Ah yeah, the severed arm. That only stays on picture for a split second though. And I'll agree that Obi-Wan's actions in that scene have always bothered me; he would have scored a few Dark Side points in a KOTOR game :D

I liked the attack on the village a lot, by the way. I don't think the Empire ever looked that ruthless (except when Tarkin blew up Alderaan, of course). The First Order looks like a more fanatic version of it.

Btw - I agree with most faults you point out about the movie's script, but at the moment I just don't mind them enough. That might change when the "high" of the movie wears off for me. :)

That's fine. I was just pointing out why those things got in the way of me really embracing the film, but I'm aware others may not be as bothered.

Syt

I'm starting to think that the First Order is coming of as kind of the Third Reich to the Empire's Kaiserreich auf the original trilogy, at least when it comes to the military and the officers - more fanatical, more indoctrinated.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Hamilcar

Syt

Random factoid: in canon, only one other character was ever adressed as "Supreme Leader": Asajj Ventress, but only in that horrible first episode of the Clone War animated series.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Kleves

It bugs me a bit that Han Solo, one of the coolest characters in film, kinda went out like a chump.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

celedhring

Quote from: Kleves on December 20, 2015, 10:59:47 AM
It bugs me a bit that Han Solo, one of the coolest characters in film, kinda went out like a chump.

Yeah, it bothered me a bit too. At least Luke got to carry out the body of Vader and give him a proper funeral and sendoff. I know a bunch of people that hated the way Han went out.

But I think it's an instance of when it's good to piss off your audience. It helps build up Kylo's character and give him heat.

celedhring

Incidentally, the mention of the "search for the first Jedi Temple" got my Star Wars geek juices flowing. I hope that we get to learn a bit about ancient Jedi history, and they don't completely jettison the "Tales of the Jedi" mythology.

Zanza

The purpose of Captain Phasma is very simple. Have a distinctive character in the First Order besides Kylo Ren and General Hux (?). If you want to sell toys, a glittering silver storm trooper is the way to do it.

Zanza

I guess I am with celedhring. The film is good enough and makes me look forward to more, but it could have been better. They took a lot of shortcuts, omitted some much needed scenes to explain the universe and added some unnecessary stuff, e.g. The scene with the two pirate gangs and Han. They could have spent those five minutes much better. It's not like Han Solo needed an introduction.

Solmyr

I noted the somewhat sudden cuts myself in a few places, though they did not diminish the enjoyment for me. It is obvious that Abrams had to cut quite a lot from the theatrical release, and I'll be waiting for the release of the three-hour extended edition. :)