8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:58:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2015, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:52:25 PM

Shush you. :D

Better tell me what you think of my interpretation (as edited). :P

It's clever, but you have to work in a reason why the "tree" keeps being happy with each 'taking'.

Because it is infinite and it is in its nature to provide. It is the Holy Grail, and its nature is to nourish.

Look at Marty getting all Joseph Campbell on us. ;)

Martinus

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

By coincidence on the way home this evening, I walked past a stray apple tree and for some odd reason it still had a pretty good crop of apples on it, in December!  :hmm:

Was it 'telling' me something?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

I reckon it's a metaphor for parenting.

Malthus

Given that it's ostensibly a children's book, and that typically those are bought by parents, I assume that the intention is to instill a decent sense of guilt into the little bastards.  :P

'See? You are nothing but a greedy little parasite that takes and takes and gives nothing in return. But we parents are happy about that, because we are selfless - why, you could take my very body, and I'd just be happy about it'.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Savonarola on December 14, 2015, 02:04:57 PM
Here is a text of The Giving Tree, without illustrations, for those who have never read it:  http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/35C1809B-B30D-450E-AE7C-1F399C7CA5AF/155278/TheGivingTreePoem.pdf

I came across this Wikipedia article the other day, and wondered what people took out of "The Giving Tree."

Thank you. It was beautiful.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2015, 03:54:43 PM
Given that it's ostensibly a children's book, and that typically those are bought by parents, I assume that the intention is to instill a decent sense of guilt into the little bastards.  :P

'See? You are nothing but a greedy little parasite that takes and takes and gives nothing in return. But we parents are happy about that, because we are selfless - why, you could take my very body, and I'd just be happy about it'.  :D

Well, that's Shel Silverstein for you... he never was one for saccharine sentiment

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

More Shel Silverstein poetry for children:

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2015, 04:06:13 PM
More Shel Silverstein poetry for children:

Or if you prefer here's Silverstein reading it.

katmai

It is about a tree that gives, sheesh why do you people have to find any other meaning to it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

I don't remember ever hearing about this.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jaron

Quote from: katmai on December 14, 2015, 04:35:55 PM
It is about a tree that gives, sheesh why do you people have to find any other meaning to it.

:rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

My Dad made fun of this book so much reading it to me as a kid that I find it hard to take seriously now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."