It's an allegory about a parent-child relationship
9 (50%)
It's a satire
1 (5.6%)
The story has no meaning, it's nihilistic children's literature
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Savonarola

Here is a text of The Giving Tree, without illustrations, for those who have never read it:  http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/35C1809B-B30D-450E-AE7C-1F399C7CA5AF/155278/TheGivingTreePoem.pdf

I came across this Wikipedia article the other day, and wondered what people took out of "The Giving Tree."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Personally I went with the nihilistic option.  Exhibit A is Shel Silverstein's portrait on the dust jacket:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Malthus

World's most divisive children's book.   :D

I took it as a parable about a parental relationship, by someone who didn't think much of humans.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

I'll go with the nihilism too. It clearly depicts a slave (morally speaking) destructively taking advantage of his betters using his neediness and weakness to instill guilt.

That, or some sick view of parenting.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2015, 02:17:19 PM
World's most divisive children's book.   :D

I took it as a parable about a parental relationship, by someone who didn't think much of humans.  ;)
This
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

It could fit as a parable of Christ's love for mankind.  Trouble is Silverstein was Jewish.

Environmental message doesn't sound very likely since the tree is happy even after having been chopped down.

The friendship interpretation doesn't really seem to fit either.  The boy abandoned his friend the tree, but still the tree remained his friend and was happy?

Parenting seems about right, except it's such a warped view of parenting - that parents role is only to give without thought and without end.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

I think it is an allegory of the soul (not understood in the sense of ritualistic faith, but as your childlike sense of wonder, your Jungian anima, your connection with the divine). You are connected with it when you are young, and then you end up selling it out, neglecting it, for material things and it withers away as you trade it for comfort, compromising on your principles, your integrity, your true nature. But in the end you go back to it, no matter how stumped it has become.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:46:32 PM
I think it is an allegory of the soul. You are connected with it when you are young, and then you end up selling it out, neglecting it, for material things. But in the end you go back to it, no matter how stumped it has become.

I was gonna say 'the first person to answer the OP's question with "I'm stumped" gets fifty lashes'.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2015, 02:27:42 PM
It could fit as a parable of Christ's love for mankind.  Trouble is Silverstein was Jewish.

Then it only makes sense he used the allegory of a tree - as in the Qabbalistic tree of life, the symbol of the connection between the Divine and the world of matter.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2015, 02:51:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:46:32 PM
I think it is an allegory of the soul. You are connected with it when you are young, and then you end up selling it out, neglecting it, for material things. But in the end you go back to it, no matter how stumped it has become.

I was gonna say 'the first person to answer the OP's question with "I'm stumped" gets fifty lashes'.  :P

Shush you. :D

Better tell me what you think of my interpretation (as edited). :P

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:52:25 PM

It's clever, but you have to work in a reason why the "tree" keeps being happy with each 'taking'.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2015, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2015, 02:52:25 PM

It's clever, but you have to work in a reason why the "tree" keeps being happy with each 'taking'.

Because it is infinite and it is in its nature to provide. It is the Holy Grail, and its nature is to nourish.