Accepting suggestions for a quick Xmas trip. It's decided, Wien!

Started by Pedrito, December 10, 2015, 03:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I'm planning some days away with the family, and I'm still uncertain about the destination.

Berlin,
pros: never been there; Pergamonmuseum :wub:
cons: never been there, don't know the best areas to sleep/dine/visit (Charlottenburg has some good prices?), kid-friendly?

Barcelona:
pros: excellent place to have fun, although I don't know how much with three kids; food and wine!
cons: already been there, where to stay?

Wien:
pros: wonderful museums, reachable by car
cons: already been there, although in the last century.

Advice is sought.  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brezel

I've heard a lot of good things about Berlin. And since you've never been there. Vienna should be good for a short family holiday as well. The city centre is basically a big museum and there are lots of things happening around Christmas IIRC.

Syt

Never been to Berlin or Barcelona.

Something to keep in mind about Vienna: it's usually very booked/expensive this time of year what with all them Christmas Markets. And you will probably run into plenty Italian tourists. ;)

I would recommend coming here in spring or fall (though fall is also convention season and can often also has a mark up in major hotels).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

I really like Berlin but I have only ever been there in the Summer so I am not sure how it would be this time of year.  But you could spend all your time in the Museums so probably not a factor.  :)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Given the time of the year I'd go to Barcelona. Berlin is great but I'm not sure if Christmas is the best moment to visit.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2015, 12:16:24 PM
Although, if anyone does Christmas well, its the Germans.

Yes, but the big Christmas market would be Nuremburg. Or Lübeck, if you prefer it a bit more intimate.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

If I might propose an alternate:

take advantage of the cheap Canadian dollar and come skiing in the Canadian Rockies over Christmas. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

The Canadian Rockies are, unfortunately, a bit over my proposed budget - I'll wait for more prosperous times, and for the children to master skiing, then I'll accept your offer, BB.

The family appears to be leaning towards Vienna, with the festive atmosphere and all (and the considerable savings of going by car  :sleep:); I'll take one more day to decide and then I'll book somewhere.
Tentative dates for every destination will be from Jan 1st to 6th.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Liep

Quote from: Pedrito on December 10, 2015, 03:34:41 PM
The Canadian Rockies are, unfortunately, a bit over my proposed budget - I'll wait for more prosperous times, and for the children to master skiing, then I'll accept your offer, BB.

The family appears to be leaning towards Vienna, with the festive atmosphere and all (and the considerable savings of going by car  :sleep:); I'll take one more day to decide and then I'll book somewhere.
Tentative dates for every destination will be from Jan 1st to 6th.

L.

Christmas will be long over then in any decent protestant country.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Berlin in early January can be frickin' cold if you are unlucky. Like -10 or worse. I would definitely not recommend going there in winter.

Charlottenburg strikes me as rather boring. I prefer Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain or Neukölln. The latter only in certain areas though.  :P