News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Angela Merkel is TIME's person of the year

Started by Syt, December 09, 2015, 08:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35048796?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

QuoteTime Magazine has named German Chancellor Angela Merkel its "Person of the Year".

The move is in recognition of her leadership during Europe's debt, refugee and migrant crises, the magazine said.

Ms Merkel had provided "steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply", the editor Nancy Gibbs wrote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Tamas

Gups

That's fair. She's had a very impressive year.

Eddie Teach

Given the apparent opposition, a reasonable choice.

QuoteDonald Trump  :lol:
Black Lives Matter activists  :lol:
Angela Merkel
Caitlyn Jenner  :lol:
Travis Kalanick -uber founder :thumbsdown:
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Vladimir Putin
Hassan Rouhani

I don't know how much control Baghdadi wields over his organization, but my impulse is to give it to him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Gups on December 09, 2015, 08:29:46 AM

Indeed, even if one or two of her policies come unstuck, there's no arguing she's been the most influential European leader by far. In contrast look at the peripheral figure Cameron has been this year.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

They already relented from giving it to Bin Laden in 2001. I can see why you wouldn't want to give it to ISIS, even though they sadly have a very strong case for the award.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2015, 08:36:34 AM
Quote from: Gups on December 09, 2015, 08:29:46 AM

Indeed, even if one or two of her policies come unstuck, there's no arguing she's been the most influential European leader by far. In contrast look at the peripheral figure Cameron has been this year.

It seems since the Cold War there's been few "big" politicians in Western Europe. I'm thinking of people who had a major impact and influence (for better of worse) like Brandt, Schmidt, Kohl, Thatcher, Giscard D'Estaing, Mitterrand, ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2015, 08:39:05 AM
They already relented from giving it to Bin Laden in 2001. I can see why you wouldn't want to give it to ISIS, even though they sadly have a very strong case for the award.

They shied away from giving it to Bin Laden, yet they named Hitler, Stalin and me.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2015, 08:43:46 AM

They shied away from giving it to Bin Laden, yet they named Hitler, Stalin and me.  :hmm:

Both before WWII and the Cold War. Those were other times, too. They even gave it to Khomeini in 1979, but if they named an "enemy" nowadays, they would probably get shitstormed.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2015, 08:51:40 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2015, 08:43:46 AM

Both before WWII and the Cold War. Those were other times, too. They even gave it to Khomeini in 1979, but if they named an "enemy" nowadays, they would probably get shitstormed.

Yes, after they gave the title to us we have gained too much control.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Does anyone read Time magazine anymore? Any readers left are probably old, and Merkel is old, so it is probably reassuring to them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014