News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Angela Merkel is TIME's person of the year

Started by Syt, December 09, 2015, 08:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Gups

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2015, 08:41:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2015, 08:36:34 AM
Quote from: Gups on December 09, 2015, 08:29:46 AM
That's fair. She's had a very impressive year.

Indeed, even if one or two of her policies come unstuck, there's no arguing she's been the most influential European leader by far. In contrast look at the peripheral figure Cameron has been this year.

It seems since the Cold War there's been few "big" politicians in Western Europe. I'm thinking of people who had a major impact and influence (for better of worse) like Brandt, Schmidt, Kohl, Thatcher, Giscard D'Estaing, Mitterrand, ...

Western Europe just isn't that important any more. Merkel and Blair are the only real candidates I think.

Crazy_Ivan80

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on December 09, 2015, 12:12:47 PM
Does anyone read Time magazine anymore? Any readers left are probably old, and Merkel is old, so it is probably reassuring to them.

I think I've seen it in the odd doctor or dentist's office.

The Minsky Moment

Is there any other viable candidate so far for leader of the 21st century?
Putin, in a negative sense.
Maybe Wen Jiabao, but assigning personal "credit" in the PRC system is tricky.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

She and Putin are the only noteworthy European leaders of the decade, so why not name her.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Legbiter is right they should have considered Erdogan too.  :P