News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Trump?

Started by Jacob, December 07, 2015, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come the 2016 Presidential Elections in the US, where will Trump be?

Presidential Candidate for the Republican Party
18 (40.9%)
Presidential Candidate in an Independent/ Third Party run?
9 (20.5%)
Not a presidential candidate at all.
16 (36.4%)
Some other scenario...
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 11:32:15 AM
I didn't want to start of a fourth thread about Trump.  But I think this puts a lot of focus on the failing of the news media.  Since the start of the 24 news channels (and perhaps some time before) news has become more about entertainment to fill content requirements.  And Trump as entertainment sells.  But where are the Edward R. Morrows who can effectively take on the demagogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvEmkMNYHY
If you look at old newspapers, 19th and early 20th century, it wasn't always about facts either.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 09, 2015, 08:31:23 PM
He's got a point. News was nearly a monopoly back then.

There may be someone with the ability of Murrow now but can any of us identify that person?  Do they have the voice and influence of Murrow.  No chance of that and in this world of news as entertainment it is very unlikely anyone ever will.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2015, 11:33:26 AM
I didn't want to start of a fourth thread about Trump.  But I think this puts a lot of focus on the failing of the news media.  Since the start of the 24 news channels (and perhaps some time before) news has become more about entertainment to fill content requirements.  And Trump as entertainment sells.  But where are the Edward R. Morrows who can effectively take on the demagogue?

If you look at old newspapers, 19th and early 20th century, it wasn't always about facts either.

That's why Grumbler's quibble doesn't make particular sense and why Murrow was and is still a standout.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2015, 11:36:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2015, 11:33:26 AM

That's why Grumbler's quibble doesn't make particular sense and why Murrow was and is still a standout.

Nah I think he is right on. I guess if there was a Murrow these days it would have to come out of PBS but those guys try to keep the editorializing down. And actually Viper's statement does not even address the issue Grumbler and I were bringing up. Murrow was a TV guy back (and Radio before that) when there were very few TV channels. I don't think he did newspapers much...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

bonus points for missing the point again.  I wont bother restating it.  Just go back to watching everyone give Trump all the attention he needs and wants and keep pretending all is well and news really is still news and not entertainment.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2015, 11:59:34 AM
bonus points for missing the point again.  I wont bother restating it.  Just go back to watching everyone give Trump all the attention he needs and wants and keep pretending all is well and news really is still news and not entertainment.

It was always entertainment, that was what Viper was saying.

But there was, and still are, plenty of individuals who take news reporting very seriously. But news is too fragmented for there to be somebody with the gravitas of Murrow around who can influence things all by himself. But thanks for being a total ass and trash talking instead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2015, 12:08:12 PM

:frusty:

Yes.  And I agreed with him.  That is why Murrow was a stand out and why we need someone who isn't going for the entertainment value.  We now live in a world where the most insightful comments come from hosts of comedy shows.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

Yes.  And I agreed with him.  That is why Murrow was a stand out and why we need someone who isn't going for the entertainment value.  We now live in a world where the most insightful comments come from hosts of comedy shows.

That is pretty fucked up, isn't it?

When the retirement of John Stewart is seen as ANY kind of impact on how people get their news, that is a pretty serious problem.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2015, 12:20:38 PM

When the retirement of John Stewart is seen as ANY kind of impact on how people get their news, that is a pretty serious problem.

:yes:

Valmy

Well I disagree that is true. But they certainly get the most eyeballs.

alfred russel

There are no shortage of editorial takes on news channels that put down donald trump. None of them are noteworthy or equivalent to Murrow because none of them have Murrow's stature, which is something you can't get today with all the fragmentation of the news media, alternative news sources, and media scrutiny.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

I prefer the thread title "Wither Trump", without the "h" or the "?".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

:frusty:  Bonus points for false assertions made for the sake of weaseling.  Murrow wasn't a standout.  Cronkite was as influential as Murrow.  Severeid was almost as influential.  The difference between the era of the highly influential new anchors and today isn't a difference between the types of broadcasters, but between the number of broadcasts.

And the most insightful comments in recent years came from Jon Stewart, who didn't host a "comedy show."  He hosted a satirical news show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2015, 12:20:38 PM

See, I disagree.  There is nothing less inherently valuable about satirical as compared to non-satirical news presentations.  Stewart could cover fewer stories because his methods of presentation were less "efficient," but people really remembered the stories he did cover.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 10, 2015, 02:29:30 PM
I prefer the thread title "Wither Trump", without the "h" or the "?".  :P

But...the poor fake tan sellers :(