What bands should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016?

Started by Savonarola, October 08, 2015, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What bands should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2016?

The Cars
12 (34.3%)
Chic
5 (14.3%)
Chicago
6 (17.1%)
Cheap Trick
4 (11.4%)
Deep Purple
22 (62.9%)
Janet Jackson
2 (5.7%)
The J.B.'s
2 (5.7%)
Chaka Khan
4 (11.4%)
Los Lobos
3 (8.6%)
Steve Miller
10 (28.6%)
Nine Inch Nails
13 (37.1%)
N.W.A.
15 (42.9%)
The Smiths
11 (31.4%)
The Spinners
4 (11.4%)
Yes
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

dps

The Cars
Deep Purple
NWA
The Spinners
Yes

Agree with 11B4V that if I could vote for only 1, it would have to be NWA.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2015, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on October 08, 2015, 05:49:56 PM
Chic, Deep Purple, NIN, Steve Miller, Smiths.

Deep Purple and Yes are not already in?  :huh:

L.

Especially odd as Purple were a huge international success as far back as what 1972, only some 43 years ago.

The people who nominate and do the bulk of the voting are "Rock experts" (music snobs).  Hard rock, prog rock and heavy metal acts have had some difficulty getting in (Rush, for instance, was inducted only last year.)  Likewise super popular groups have had a hard time making it (Kiss and Hall and Oates were inducted only in 2014.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2015, 04:10:17 PM
I can't believe Steve Miller's not in yet.

He deserves a Pete Rose style lifetime ban for rhyming "Texas", "Facts is", "Justice" and "Taxes," in "Take the Money and Run."   :mad:

And a second lifetime ban for penning "Abra-Abra-Cadabra, I want to reach out and grab ya."   :mad:

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

I certainly wouldn't consider myself a music snob, but FWIW I'd say that Chicago and Steve Miller lightweights next to the rest of this year's nominees.  Chicago deserves some consideration for their early work in incorporating brass instruments into rock (though they were hardly the first to do so), but Steve Miller is pretty much the posterboy for disposable pop-rock IMO

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on October 09, 2015, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2015, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on October 08, 2015, 05:49:56 PM
Chic, Deep Purple, NIN, Steve Miller, Smiths.

Deep Purple and Yes are not already in?  :huh:

L.

Especially odd as Purple were a huge international success as far back as what 1972, only some 43 years ago.

The people who nominate and do the bulk of the voting are "Rock experts" (music snobs).  Hard rock, prog rock and heavy metal acts have had some difficulty getting in (Rush, for instance, was inducted only last year.)  Likewise super popular groups have had a hard time making it (Kiss and Hall and Oates were inducted only in 2014.)

:(

So rather similar to the NME clique?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Not The Smiths. It'd be nice if people who consist of meat will be allowed within 20 miles of the R&RHoF in the future.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I don't see how you could deny The Smiths though yes the veg is a dick.

Course really should come in at same time as The Cure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Of that list, Chic and Deep Purple are the most deserving both based on the quality of their output and the reach of their influence (especially Chic in the latter case).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I think the Cars are being under-appreciated here.  They mixed the punk and burgeoning new wave in 1978 to create one of the better albums of the New Wave genre.  Their 2nd album also had a number of hits, and while they became more routine after that (and ended up being Top 40 mainstays), the late 1970s change in New Wave was in part driven by them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 10, 2015, 12:48:08 PM
Of that list, Chic and Deep Purple are the most deserving both based on the quality of their output and the reach of their influence (especially Chic in the latter case).

Dude, disco is dead. And saying they had a great influence on hiphop is kinda like saying the same thing for The Police or Bruce Hornsby. They did a song that got sampled, big deal.

Eddie Teach

DontSayBanana

Cars, Chaka Kahn, Deep Purple, NIN, and NWA.  NWA and Chaka Kahn have the easy ins with less competition in their subgenres.  I'd like Yes in, but I have a feeling Cars are gonna go in first.  NIN might be an early eligibility in because their shakeup of the prevailing style was close to watershed territory.  This isn't the first time Deep Purple's been nominated, but this is the first bracket I've seen where there wasn't a clear contemporary overshadowing them. 
Experience bij!

Savonarola

QuoteRock and Roll Hall of Fame announces 2016 inductees

By Ben Brumfield, CNN
Updated 4:05 PM ET, Thu December 17, 2015

(CNN)Let us pay homage to the latest rock stars immortal and dig on some of the music that just got them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The pantheon of rock has announced its five inductees for 2016. The ceremony to welcome them will come in April.

It took decades for the acts to make it in, and that's part of the official rules.

An act has to be in business for at least 25 years after the release of its first album to be nominated. Three of the five iconic acts needed more than 40 years to make it in.

Every year, more than 600 musicians, historians and other industry players vote on nominees. For five years, the Rock Hall has allowed fans to vote, too. But their top pick counts as a single vote.

This year, the band Chicago took 37 million ballots -- more than 23% -- to become fan favorite.

Here are the new rock deities in the order listed by the Hall of Fame. With so much time under their belts, their hits are now oldies spanning '60s hard rock to '90s rap but heavily weighted to the '70s.

Notably, none of the acts being inducted is female.

Remember (if you can). Sing along (even if you can't).

Cheap Trick: Generation MTV
When video killed the radio star in the '80s, Cheap Trick did the optics up right.

And the band slid in on top of punk with quick-beat, good unclean fun. Who can forget the full-screen, glossy red lips mouthing "She's Tight," to the highest tones of Robin Zander's silk pipes? With Rick Nielsen zapping in an electric chord on guitar to set the exclamation point after "tight!"

When Cheap Trick cut its first album in 1977, it established a signature sound, the Hall of Fame said. "It has never changed it much. It didn't need to."

Chicago: Brass breezes
Chicago, this year's fan fave, said "We're different" from its first album in 1969. All around it, the British Invasion driven by the Beatles was metaphysically morphing into psychedelic trips.

With jazz horns, the Chicago Transit Authority blasted wide-eyed, breezy reality right into it, and in its lyrics took vivid sun-drenched strolls like in "Saturday in the Park."

Then the group waxed melancholic, asking wide-awake philosophical questions like "Does anybody really know what time it is?"

"Chicago mastered the art of making melodic jazz-tinged rock with a keen pop sensibility," the Rock Hall wrote.

The city of Chicago pressured the band into shortening its name to just "Chicago," the Hall of Fame said.

It took Chicago more than 40 years of fame to get voted into the Rock Hall.

Stay current on all Entertainment news

Deep Purple: That rock's hard
"Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. They are the Holy Trinity of hard rock and metal bands," said the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

What else is there to say? Plenty.

The Hall credits the album "Deep Purple In Rock," together with albums by the other two bands, with founding the genre of hard rock. Deep Purple has sold more than 100 million albums.

Like riffs? "Smoke On The Water" by far outriffs the Stones and Nirvana, the Hall of Fame said.

This band, too, needed more than 40 years of fame to make it into the Rock Hall.

Steve Miller: Psycheblues
Around the same time Chicago blew its jazz against psychedelic rock, Steve Miller flowed with it instead, sizzling it with blues guitar and sweetening it with harmony.

"Miller perfected a psychedelic blues sound that drew on the deepest sources of American roots music and simultaneously articulated a compelling vision of what music -- and, indeed, society -- could be in the years to come," the Rock Hall of Fame said.

Miller was the third act that needed more than 40 years to be rock-deified.

N.W.A: Straight outta Compton
Ahead of their time? Maybe. Think #BlackLivesMatter.

And yeah, they're rock 'n' roll -- now officially, says the Hall of Fame. And they're visionaries who broke down barriers in society to let the rest of the world in on the harsh confinement of street life in America's forgotten corners, like Compton.

Their lyrics were woven from equally harsh words.

The Hall of Fame said the group "made a way out of no way, put their city on the map and solidified the disparate elements of gangsta rap into a genre meaty enough to be quantified, imitated and monetized for generations to come."

Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, MC Ren and DJ Yella cleaned up the lyrics for "Express Yourself," which criticized the pop charts for wanting them to, well, clean up their lyrics.