What bands should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016?

Started by Savonarola, October 08, 2015, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What bands should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2016?

The Cars
12 (34.3%)
Chic
5 (14.3%)
Chicago
6 (17.1%)
Cheap Trick
4 (11.4%)
Deep Purple
22 (62.9%)
Janet Jackson
2 (5.7%)
The J.B.'s
2 (5.7%)
Chaka Khan
4 (11.4%)
Los Lobos
3 (8.6%)
Steve Miller
10 (28.6%)
Nine Inch Nails
13 (37.1%)
N.W.A.
15 (42.9%)
The Smiths
11 (31.4%)
The Spinners
4 (11.4%)
Yes
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2015, 03:25:13 PM
My ballot:
Deep Purple
Chaka Kahn
Steve Miller
NIN
NWA

Good man. Exact same as my ballot except addition of Chaka Khan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2015, 03:31:51 PM
Good man. Exact same as my ballot except addition of Chaka Khan.

I was torn between Chaka Khan and Yes. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I'm puzzled by groups like NWA, or even NIN, being listed.  Is what they do really rock and roll?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

NIN, definitely.
NWA, well, they belong as much as Run-DMC. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I can't believe Steve Miller's not in yet.

I voted: Steve Miller, People of Color Who Have Justifiable Grievances, and Yes.

Other bands I like, such as The Cars, just don't have the play list IMO.

Savonarola

I went with:

The Cars
The JBs
NWA
The Smiths
The Spinners

The JBs should have been inducted along with the other "Backing" groups in 2012 (the Famous Flames were inducted that year.)

I was torn between Janet Jackson and the Spinners.  I went with the Detroit band this time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Pedrito

Chic, Deep Purple, NIN, Steve Miller, Smiths.

Deep Purple and Yes are not already in?  :huh:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on October 08, 2015, 05:49:56 PM
Chic, Deep Purple, NIN, Steve Miller, Smiths.

Deep Purple and Yes are not already in?  :huh:

L.

Especially odd as Purple were a huge international success as far back as what 1972, only some 43 years ago.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Chic
Cheap Trick
The J.B.'s
Steve Miller
NWA

Not based on how much I like them...well that's not true, I like them all a lot except Steve Miller, but I think it's only fair.  I agree with Yi's sentiments re: The Cars.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)