News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2020, 06:51:04 PM
Otoh, if you're a young child, your experience will probably be worse being trafficked than getting covid.

A nation's problems and one person's biggest problems are often not the same.

But why not child murder? Isn't that a bigger problem? At least the trafficked ones can still escape or be rescued or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Incredibly, child trafficking has existed and been a serious problem since time immemorial, despite lack of any interest from Trumpy nutters that follow Qanon crap on the internet. There are organizations that track this problem and advocate for resources and attention to combat it.  Which involves, e.g., strengthening social services, funding local community resources, reforming immigration so that desperate migrants have some choice other than to turn to the worst criminals for "help", etc. and other things that the Trump admin has spent much of the last three years undermining.

Sadly it turns out that sharing memes on Facebook and increasing COVID infection rates by violating basic public health guidelines does little to decrease human trafficking.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on August 17, 2020, 04:40:56 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 17, 2020, 02:10:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 16, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PMFrom you know whom.  :P

You keep saying that, and I don't think any of us know who you're talking about.

You are the one I have to to keep telling where most of the memes from that anti-vaxxer, pandemic, QAnon, pro-Trump, anti-5G and anti Bill Gates, vaguely libertarian conspiracy theory poster, come from.  :P

And I keep having no idea what you're talking about...

Focus on identity is so identity politics.  :P
I thought it would be obvious, somebody on my facebook contact list. Given the focus on Germany, with some crappy German-speaking memes from time to time, it is easy to guess it is an acquaintance of mine. From my Frankfurt days, to be precise.

Razgovory

"Jews killing children is a much greater concern than the Bubonic Plague."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2020, 09:25:59 AM

Well, he did not fall to those depths.

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 17, 2020, 09:29:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2020, 09:25:59 AM

Well, he did not fall to those depths.

It's the same thing, just updated for the 21st century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2020, 09:56:41 AM
There's still such folks out there.

Yeah, and what's ironic is that it was trivially easy to point out that no such person gave any such speech.  In fact, rabbi Abarron Haviv doesn't even exist online anywhere.

There's a car dealership in Tel Aviv called "Aharron Haviv," though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

He said too much, so the Elders have repressed any mention.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 17, 2020, 12:38:20 PM
He said too much, so the Elders have repressed any mention.
:rolleyes: Always with the conspiracies.  The elders are just not very good with technology, being the elders and all, so that's why you can't find any mentions online.

Tonitrus

I make it a policy to never trust any quote appended to an image.

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2020, 08:41:44 AM
Incredibly, child trafficking has existed and been a serious problem since time immemorial, despite lack of any interest from Trumpy nutters that follow Qanon crap on the internet. There are organizations that track this problem and advocate for resources and attention to combat it.  Which involves, e.g., strengthening social services, funding local community resources, reforming immigration so that desperate migrants have some choice other than to turn to the worst criminals for "help", etc. and other things that the Trump admin has spent much of the last three years undermining.

Sadly it turns out that sharing memes on Facebook and increasing COVID infection rates by violating basic public health guidelines does little to decrease human trafficking.

:o :o :o

Wut?? Unpossible!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2020, 01:26:15 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 17, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
I make it a policy to never trust any quote appended to an image.

There are so many things wrong with this. Do you actually think this way?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy