Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

He has a thing going with Syt's sister?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2020, 03:55:27 PM
Well one tanked our economy and has killed 150,000+ Americans. The other hasn't.

Otoh, if you're a young child, your experience will probably be worse being trafficked than getting covid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2020, 06:51:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2020, 03:55:27 PM
Well one tanked our economy and has killed 150,000+ Americans. The other hasn't.

Otoh, if you're a young child, your experience will probably be worse being trafficked than getting covid.

OTOH, if you are murdered by your parents, your experience will probably be worse than getting covid.  "Parental murder is a bigger problem than Covid.  Prove me wrong."

We could actually do this for every problem any country faces, just by couching it in the right terms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

What are these people doing about human trafficking?  Because following batshit internet theories from Qanon doesn't actually accomplish anything.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on August 16, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PMFrom you know whom.  :P

You keep saying that, and I don't think any of us know who you're talking about.

You are the one I have to to keep telling where most of the memes from that anti-vaxxer, pandemic, QAnon, pro-Trump, anti-5G and anti Bill Gates, vaguely libertarian conspiracy theory poster, come from.  :P

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/22/us/missing-children-fast-facts/index.html

QuoteAccording to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Missing Person File, there are 87,438 active missing person records, of which juveniles under the age of 18 account for 30,618 (35%) of the records. (as of December 31, 2019)

I presume this number includes cases that have been active for years. For example, for 2015, there were 634,908 persons reported missing, but 634,742 were purged, with purges including cases where the missing person returned home or was found by law enforcement officers (I'm guessing that's the overwhelming majority of cases):
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/2015-ncic-missing-person-and-unidentified-person-statistics.pdf/view

My guess is that people are way too quick to report someone as missing when they just stay out a little longer than usual. Heck, when I was a teen, my parents could have called the cops three to five times a week when I hung out with friends longer than I said I would.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Ok with this child kidnapping obsession, I am admitting it's social media's fault. No way this big a stupid mass psychosis could have reached this proportions without a mass medium, and as far as I am aware not even Fox News is actively pushing this on this scale so it has to be Facebook.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2020, 02:34:07 AM
Ok with this child kidnapping obsession, I am admitting it's social media's fault. No way this big a stupid mass psychosis could have reached this proportions without a mass medium, and as far as I am aware not even Fox News is actively pushing this on this scale so it has to be Facebook.

Based on what I see on my sister's Facebook, they share a lot of "missing person" alerts from news sites (proper news sites), so I can see how the subjective impression could be that there's tons of child abductions while the kid is just out exploring with friends or whatever, esp. if there's maybe no follow up as to what happened in those cases.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 17, 2020, 02:10:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 16, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 16, 2020, 01:32:20 PMFrom you know whom.  :P

You keep saying that, and I don't think any of us know who you're talking about.

You are the one I have to to keep telling where most of the memes from that anti-vaxxer, pandemic, QAnon, pro-Trump, anti-5G and anti Bill Gates, vaguely libertarian conspiracy theory poster, come from.  :P

And I keep having no idea what you're talking about...

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2020, 02:39:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2020, 02:34:07 AM

Based on what I see on my sister's Facebook, they share a lot of "missing person" alerts from news sites (proper news sites), so I can see how the subjective impression could be that there's tons of child abductions while the kid is just out exploring with friends or whatever, esp. if there's maybe no follow up as to what happened in those cases.

It is a typical conflation of two facts to reach an untenable result. 180,000 people go missing in the UK every year, some of these people are children and some of them are murdered or trafficked for various nefarious purposes; so logically (  :P ) speaking thousands upon thousands of kids are murdered or trafficked in the UK every year probably by Albanian or Vietnamese gangs too.

Drain the swamp, deport illegals etc etc........it is all down to a lack of sense of proportion.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 17, 2020, 05:00:28 AMIt is a typical conflation of two facts to reach an untenable result. 180,000 people go missing in the UK every year

I presume most of those turn up again in short order?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2020, 05:11:38 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 17, 2020, 05:00:28 AMIt is a typical conflation of two facts to reach an untenable result. 180,000 people go missing in the UK every year

Of course, a majority are fairly trivial. As ever if you want to get an idea of the real picture then a few hours of research is needed. Something which the facebook warriors hardly ever bother to do. Looking at this charity's website gives some idea :

https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/latest-news/1018-missing-people-publishes-latest-uk-statistics.html

Poor mental health or a crappy home environment seem to be the main drivers. but that is boring of course.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 17, 2020, 05:42:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2020, 05:11:38 AM

Of course, a majority are fairly trivial. As ever if you want to get an idea of the real picture then a few hours of research is needed. Something which the facebook warriors hardly ever bother to do. Looking at this charity's website gives some idea :

https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/latest-news/1018-missing-people-publishes-latest-uk-statistics.html

Poor mental health or a crappy home environment seem to be the main drivers. but that is boring of course.

You mean it is NOT a vast network of the world elite abducting children to abuse them, torture them, and syphon their blood? :o

Then again, those people would have the power to adjust the statistics ...  :ph34r:

:P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Tbh in my experience at least in the UK it's far more often dogknapping you see than disappearing people.
Often with a conveniently dark looking guy caught in clear cctv shot as the suspect.
██████
██████
██████