Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2019, 11:59:28 PM
Here is an overview of energy generation in Europe:
-snip-
Whoa.  Coaland not Poland, eh?  Lithuania has done an amazing job switching over to renewables.  Seems like there must be an interesting story there.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 26, 2019, 03:16:18 AM
-snip-
Whoa.  Coaland not Poland, eh?  Lithuania has done an amazing job switching over to renewables.  Seems like there must be an interesting story there.

Doesn't Poland export energy to Germany nowadays?

The Larch

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 26, 2019, 03:16:18 AM
-snip-

I don't know where they got their numbers from, but official data puts Lithuania at 28% renewables in 2016, rather than the lanslide presented in that graph.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Somewhere Margaret Thatcher is smiling at that UK graph.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

So, as someone who hasn't done much (any) research into the Biden connection, what do I read up on or post to people that are just mindlessly repeating Jim Jordan's comments there?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 03:45:31 PM
BC is 100% Hydro.

edit, we also have private solar and wind feeding into the grid.  We were going to supply Alberta with our new hydro project, but with the the new government there, not sure that will happen.  Quebec can also supply those on the East coast.

Your figure is not correct CC.

BC produces 90% of its electricity from hydro, 6% biomass/geothermal, 2% natural gas, 1% wind, and <1% petroleum.

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/nrg/ntgrtd/mrkt/nrgsstmprfls/bc-eng.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2019, 09:39:38 AM
https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/nrg/ntgrtd/mrkt/nrgsstmprfls/bc-eng.html

From that website.

QuoteVirtually all of the electricity produced in Quebec comes from renewable sources. In 2016, Quebec's power sector generated 0.3 MT CO2e emissions, which represents 0.4% of Canada's GHG emissions from power generation.
Pretty cool figure for my province.

In 2017, BC produce 76.4 TW.H of Electricity
Alberta, 82.4 TW.H
Ontario, 152 TW.H
Quebec, 212.3 TW.H
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I know I started this with posting Manitoba's 99% renewables rate, but we should avoid too much back-patting.  All three are based on hydro.  BC, Quebec and Manitoba have very favourable geography for hydro power (so does Ontario, but they also have a massive population).

That's just not doable in other jurisdictions (like Alberta).  There's some room for cross-border electricity sales, but those three provinces don't have the generating capacity to power all of Canada through hydro.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Alberta's far from QC but if you want to buy, we will build plants to generate it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Hydro is also pretty environmentally damaging, but concentrated locally rather than global.

Maximus

It could probably provide a decent baseline. I wonder how set up costs compare to nuclear.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on September 26, 2019, 10:16:19 AM
It could probably provide a decent baseline. I wonder how set up costs compare to nuclear.

Depends on where, though in the US at least it appears to be cheaper than nuclear: see "Projected LCOE in the U.S. by 2022 (as of 2016) $/MWh" (LCOE factors in the costs of the plant: "The levelized cost of electricity (LCOE), also known as Levelized Energy Cost (LEC), is the net present value of the unit-cost of electrical energy over the lifetime of a generating asset. It is often taken as a proxy for the average price that the generating asset must receive in a market to break even over its lifetime. It is a first-order economic assessment of the cost competitiveness of an electricity-generating system that incorporates all costs over its lifetime: initial investment, operations and maintenance, cost of fuel, cost of capital.").

Problem is of course that hydro is only available in certain places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source#United_States
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2019, 08:08:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 26, 2019, 01:15:19 AM

*weary sigh*

No....

I'm not understanding why the Right seems to be flipping out over the fact that Hunter Biden once earned $50,000 dollars in a single month.  That's not a huge figure, and Rudy Giuliani charges more than that for a single speech.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!