News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 25, 2019, 02:56:12 PM
Not, if hydro or nuclear powered, as in electric métros or trams. :smarty:.

What country has 100% hydro and nuclear electricity generation?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Texas is at 30%.
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 02:58:15 PM

France is 62% Nukes, 20% Hydro, and 10% wind and solar. Iowa is over 40% wind and nukes by the way. Not too shabby.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Manitoba is 97% hydro, 2% wind, with everything else being under 1%.   :cool:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I mean I do have friends who just went off the grid to live like our ancestors of yore and decided not to have kids so they could live guilt free and morally pure. But what good does that hairshirt shit actually do? Nothing. Because this is not a system of religious moral values we are trying to spread that requires people to live in a pure way. We are talking about an actual problem, a real threat to us and our way of life, and ways we can respond to that threat.

So this "practice what you preach" stuff as if we are preaching no meat on fridays is stupid. Unless the regular way people live their lives changes it will not actually impact anyway.

And really the way we live our lives doesn't actually have to change that much. Produce electricity without emissions. Boom that is most of the problem right there. And it can practically be done.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Right, I'm not saying in order for a global warming activist to have moral standing they have to be at zero emissions personally, I was just answering Beeb's question about public transpo.  There's also the consideration that public transpo doesn't run 100% on electricity.

viper37

While not a country, Quebec is close to 100% renewable energy.  And we have surplus.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

The smart ones.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

BC is 100% Hydro.

edit, we also have private solar and wind feeding into the grid.  We were going to supply Alberta with our new hydro project, but with the the new government there, not sure that will happen.  Quebec can also supply those on the East coast.

The Brain

Swedish electricity generation is completely dominated by nuclear and hydro + wind.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 03:45:31 PM

BC is 100% Hydro.

edit, we also have private solar and wind feeding into the grid.  We were going to supply Alberta with our new hydro project, but with the the new government there, not sure that will happen.  Quebec can also supply those on the East coast.

BC is also the largest coal exporter in North America, mainly to Asian countries.  BC likes to wag their finger at Alberta but they have their own skeletons in the closet on this subject.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on September 25, 2019, 03:57:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 03:45:31 PM

BC is 100% Hydro.

BC is also the largest coal exporter in North America, mainly to Asian countries.  BC likes to wag their finger at Alberta but they have their own skeletons in the closet on this subject.

Yep, a lot of those mines that were approved in the past continue to have mine life - hard to get a new mine approved these days though.

Zanza

Here is an overview of energy generation in Europe:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk