Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2017, 02:50:22 PM
... and the guy in the lower ad appears to be holding a Cricket Bat!

Really, that's what this is all about: making America safe ... from the horrors of Cricket.  :hmm:

clearly you've never been beaten by a two-by-four before :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2017, 04:51:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2017, 02:50:22 PM
... and the guy in the lower ad appears to be holding a Cricket Bat!

Really, that's what this is all about: making America safe ... from the horrors of Cricket.  :hmm:

clearly you've never been beaten by a two-by-four before :P

I've never played Cricket either.  :P

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2017, 01:43:40 PM

So much for 'model minorities'.

I mean one would generally think it would be a good thing for Indians and Chinese to take over our schools. We aren't doing a great job with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Camerus

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2017, 07:11:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2017, 01:43:40 PM

So much for 'model minorities'.

I mean one would generally think it would be a good thing for Indians and Chinese to take over our schools. We aren't doing a great job with them.

:D I'd love my future hypothetical kid to go to a school with a large east Asian and Indian population.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Camerus on November 07, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
:D I'd love my future hypothetical kid to go to a school with a large east Asian and Indian population.

https://youtu.be/oqDX55kyA9M

Grey Fox

Excellent, America deserves a strong Cricket fields development.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2017, 08:09:40 AM
Apparently both won  :)

All 4 candidates mentiined in the posters Jacob posted last page won.

Also an open trans woman beat the author of the VA bathroom bill.  The boyfriend of a gun victim beat a candidate with an A rating from NRA .  Civil rights attorney who sued police departments won DA of Philadelphia.

Lots of good stuff happened last night.

Barrister

A buddy of mine from fraternity days posted a long screed about how the Weinstein effect is becoming a witchhunt, and while Louis CK is a pervert and pathetic, he's now the subject of a "neo-puritanical witch hunt for any behaviour deemed even borderline risky or offensive."

*sigh*

And normally my FB feed is surprisingly drama-free.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

While it's fine that sexual abusers are being called out, the only thing that bothers me about it is that in most of the cases there is either is no legal due process, or that the media coverage doesn't/wont care about it by the time it gets to that point (if it ever does). 

It does almost create some kind of sense that having enough accusers is enough to bring someone down (even those who deserve to be so)...with no care about whether or not is ever proven legally.  The mayor of Seattle was brought down this way recently as well.

Are most of the accusations true, and do these guys deserve what they get?  Yeah, most likely.  Does it bother me that most of the consequences they are suffering are coming without any legal due process?  Yes, and it should bother a society based on law too...but that doesn't appear to be bothering anyone at all.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 10, 2017, 06:05:32 PM
While it's fine that sexual abusers are being called out, the only thing that bothers me about it is that in most of the cases there is either is no legal due process, or that the media coverage doesn't/wont care about it by the time it gets to that point (if it ever does). 

It does almost create some kind of sense that having enough accusers is enough to bring someone down (even those who deserve to be so)...with no care about whether or not is ever proven legally.  The mayor of Seattle was brought down this way recently as well.

Are most of the accusations true, and do these guys deserve what they get?  Yeah, most likely.  Does it bother me that most of the consequences they are suffering are coming without any legal due process?  Yes, and it should bother a society based on law too...but that doesn't appear to be bothering anyone at all.

The consequences they are suffering are commercial, not legal.  As long as consumers are free to spend their money on whatever they want, what you described will continue.

Surely it wouldn't make any sense to require people to continue watching House of Cards or Louis CK's comedy shows until they are proven guilty.