News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 16, 2017, 09:14:23 PM
what I think is really interesting is that this narrative quickly shifted, and all evidence suggests trump wasn't an agent or compromised. at best, he was someone who admired putin's boldness.
At best, a  useful idiot.

maybe he had an idea of lifting sanctions or maybe he didn't and it was flynn/whoever. I don't know, but it doesn't matter because trump and putin are obviously not closet allies. russia doesn't know what's going on, and it's more cautious now toward trump. trump is desperate to prove he isn't russia's friend, so he's going anti-russia.
I've seen Fox News (a tottally credible source according to Republicans...) commenting that intelligence agencies do not give him classified material for fear it would be compromised...

any pro-russia sentiment trump might have is gone. most of the pro-trump sentiment russia is gone. the system worked. like I said months ago, it doesn't matter whether trump likes russia--America doesn't like russia, so it won't let him ally up.
Gone?  Where?  He's keeping it quiet to ride the storm, just like you lower your sails on a boat.  You don't burn them at the first sign of a storm.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

I'm sure at least one intelligence agent has withheld information because he's paranoid. this doesn't mean he's right. when you've got media blasting trump for being a russian puppet, which is basically a conspiracy theory gone mainstream and supported by the media, then this sort of thing is going to happen. intelligence agents are naturally cautious. if some of them see a possibility, even if small, some are going to act on that small possibility.

trump is both a brilliant mastermind and an idiot at once, depending on the issue and how it best supports leftist arguments. that's what is pretty interesting about these internet conspiracy theories

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 10:39:45 PM
Not familiar with that one.  Was the brewery calling women whores, or was it naming a beer after a whore?
It was naming its beer "Little whore".  In the description it said "A small blonde easy and fruity".
They also had a beer called "parakeet", a derogatory name sometimes used for females and "the viscious".

Anyway, I'll agree it's in bad taste and would make me less likely to buy the beer.  Solution: don't buy that beer and don't buy anything else from that brewery.  I'll give you some other examples in a separate post.
Well, it's not like people try to burn down the micro-brewery.  They just called for a boycott and eventually the names were changed. 

But in this case, I understand the outrage.  In many case, I feel the exagerate and destroy any chance of success.  Calling about the Quebec rape culture when the people are reporting incidents happenning at Harvard does not help the feminist's case.

I sort of understand the basis of the complaint-- sometimes male bartenders make incorrect assumptions about what some female beer drinkers like or their level of knowledge.  But there are also large numbers of women (and men) that walk into a taproom and do need some help finding a beer they like.  So sometimes it's a no-win situation for the bartender.
Imho, if a client ask for suggestions, you give it.  If they don't say they want something strong, they'll recommend something softer, more appropriate to everyone's taste.

The interesting thing about this is I've heard several women complain about there not being enough female brewers, but none of the complainers themselves want to get into brewing. 
Yeah, sure.  They all complain there aren't enough females on construction sites, but none of them complain there are too many female nurses&teachers.

With this one as well I sort of understand the basis of the complaint-- idiot patrons that see female bartenders as a captive audience and try to flirt with them.  Hell, it gets under my skin when I witness it.  But not every guy who asks for a name is trying to get in her pants.
That's why it's silly.  There's a difference between obsessive flirting and asking for a name.

None of that relates to my explanation to Valmy about how feminism has seeped into craft beer.
You said "feminism is a cancer".  I think conservatism is equally a cancer, because of its abuses.  You will likely disagree with me.  I am more neutral toward feminism, and my bar is higher than yours to determine what is a feminazi.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 09:36:50 AM
I'm sure at least one intelligence agent has withheld information because he's paranoid. this doesn't mean he's right. when you've got media blasting trump for being a russian puppet, which is basically a conspiracy theory gone mainstream and supported by the media, then this sort of thing is going to happen. intelligence agents are naturally cautious. if some of them see a possibility, even if small, some are going to act on that small possibility.

trump is both a brilliant mastermind and an idiot at once, depending on the issue and how it best supports leftist arguments. that's what is pretty interesting about these internet conspiracy theories
so what you,re telling me is that level intelligence agencies are withholding detailed reports from Trump because they believe in the conspiracy theories spread by the New York Time and the Washington Post, first amongst the fake medias of this world?

Interesting... theory, I guess.

But it doesn't hold to analysis.

Unless you want to argue that US Intelligence agencies are notoriously incompetent and filled to the brim, from bottom to the very top with incompetent people who gather their intelligence from US newspapers columns & editorials?
In that case, I would have to bow to your superior knowledge of US intelligence agencies.  Not being my country, I'm not familiar with every details.  But if you say so...

LaCroix

I didn't say any of that

fyi, from what I've seen NYT seems at least slightly biased. washington post, I dunno, I haven't looked into it. cnn is really bad. huffingtonpost is basically a liberal rag.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 09:51:27 AM
I didn't say any of that

fyi, from what I've seen NYT seems at least slightly biased. washington post, I dunno, I haven't looked into it. cnn is really bad. huffingtonpost is basically a liberal rag.

I'm looking forward to the FBI raiding the NYT and WaPo offices later this year.

CNN will be left alone. Trump is friends with Zucker. They probably have an understanding.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2017, 06:50:32 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 17, 2017, 04:56:31 AM
Most of those labels look like the work of 13 year old boys hitting puberty though.

Yeah, pretty juvenile, I can sympatize with their objections.

Yeah but plenty of others are not. Buy the ones that show the proper maturity. It is kind of self-defeating to have a label that will keep your shit from ever being commercially successful.

The problem is the demands that the people who make bad stuff be shamed or bullied into submission. That is what turns people against good causes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2017, 11:38:01 AM
Yeah but plenty of others are not. Buy the ones that show the proper maturity. It is kind of self-defeating to have a label that will keep your shit from ever being commercially successful.

Speaking of shit, here's one that people tell me is good but I refuse to buy.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2017, 10:13:41 AM

Yeah see health care does not work that way.

Cruz displays an incredible ignorance of the complicated problems that make this industry particularly troublesome. His comparison to health care to luxury cars was particularly dumbfounding. Until people are required to be given luxury cars in emergency rooms I think the comparison falls rather flat.

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on February 17, 2017, 04:56:31 AM
Most of those labels look like the work of 13 year old boys hitting puberty though.

For some reason, a lot of the trendy beers have intentionally bad artwork.  I think Mikkeller started that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

That can't be the most successful advertising. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive