News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

if we go by hillary's campaign strategy, feminists could be cancer to democrats winning elections

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
-Some beer labels/names are crude and sexist and need to be done away with.  They represent an active barrier to women participating in craft beer, something something frat boys & patriarchy.  It's not enough just to not buy that beer.  Breweries need to be shamed into submission.
Well, if you name your beer "La p'tite pute" (Little whore), it is kinda expected that some women will find it offensive.  For some reason, women do not appreciate being called a whore.

-Bartenders need to stop trying to suggest beers to women.  Just show them the tap list and let them decide.  Any input or suggestion from the bartender is to be regarded as mansplaining.  And don't you dare suggest a low ABV or fruit-infused beer.
Ok, that is silly, unless asked, of if there's a special on something or a novelty item.

-There aren't enough female brewers.  Won't say how many would be enough-- there just need to be more.  Almost no women are in packaging and distributing, but those jobs aren't any fun so nobody cares.
Well, women will always complain there isn't enough women in traditionnaly male jobs.  I guess they have a point, but, hey, do we complain there are more female bartenders than male?  more female nurses than male nurse?  More elementary female teachers?  I guess we're just more mature like that.  ;)

-Male bar patrons should never: ask a female bartender's name, compliment her on anything related to her appearance, or compliment her on her knowledge of beer.  This is not just related to beer, but bars in general.  Basically, just keep your mouth shut (but still tip generously).
again, silly.

but I could easily find conservative sillyness too.  Like, oh say, deciding what a woman should do with her body?  Selling her beauty products for more than the same product for men?  Or deciding what bathroom should someone attend and having a toilet police? Or, oh, I don't know, believing that a restaurant is hiding a Democrat-run pedophile ring and going there with guns blazing? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 16, 2017, 09:03:58 PM
if we go by hillary's campaign strategy, feminists could be cancer to democrats winning elections
Still cheerleading for that Russian spy of yours? :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2017, 09:08:25 PMStill cheerleading for that Russian spy of yours? :)

what I think is really interesting is that this narrative quickly shifted, and all evidence suggests trump wasn't an agent or compromised. at best, he was someone who admired putin's boldness. maybe he had an idea of lifting sanctions or maybe he didn't and it was flynn/whoever. I don't know, but it doesn't matter because trump and putin are obviously not closet allies. russia doesn't know what's going on, and it's more cautious now toward trump. trump is desperate to prove he isn't russia's friend, so he's going anti-russia.

any pro-russia sentiment trump might have is gone. most of the pro-trump sentiment russia is gone. the system worked. like I said months ago, it doesn't matter whether trump likes russia--America doesn't like russia, so it won't let him ally up.

CountDeMoney

Trump loves Russia:  he's tried unsuccessfully since the 1980s to do business there, and not cracking the door.   And the Russian immigrant population of NYC, particularly Brighton Beach, have always been attracted to his gold-plated kitsch.

But yeah, he's compromised.  He may not know it, he may not even believe it, but all businessmen of Trump's pedigree have been primary targets by Russian intelligence services.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2017, 09:08:01 PM
Well, if you name your beer "La p'tite pute" (Little whore), it is kinda expected that some women will find it offensive.  For some reason, women do not appreciate being called a whore.

Not familiar with that one.  Was the brewery calling women whores, or was it naming a beer after a whore?  Anyway, I'll agree it's in bad taste and would make me less likely to buy the beer.  Solution: don't buy that beer and don't buy anything else from that brewery.  I'll give you some other examples in a separate post.

Ok, that is silly, unless asked, of if there's a special on something or a novelty item.

I sort of understand the basis of the complaint-- sometimes male bartenders make incorrect assumptions about what some female beer drinkers like or their level of knowledge.  But there are also large numbers of women (and men) that walk into a taproom and do need some help finding a beer they like.  So sometimes it's a no-win situation for the bartender.

Well, women will always complain there isn't enough women in traditionnaly male jobs.  I guess they have a point, but, hey, do we complain there are more female bartenders than male?  more female nurses than male nurse?  More elementary female teachers?  I guess we're just more mature like that.  ;)

The interesting thing about this is I've heard several women complain about there not being enough female brewers, but none of the complainers themselves want to get into brewing. 

again, silly.

With this one as well I sort of understand the basis of the complaint-- idiot patrons that see female bartenders as a captive audience and try to flirt with them.  Hell, it gets under my skin when I witness it.  But not every guy who asks for a name is trying to get in her pants.

Quotebut I could easily find conservative sillyness too.  Like, oh say, deciding what a woman should do with her body?  Selling her beauty products for more than the same product for men?  Or deciding what bathroom should someone attend and having a toilet police? Or, oh, I don't know, believing that a restaurant is hiding a Democrat-run pedophile ring and going there with guns blazing? :)

None of that relates to my explanation to Valmy about how feminism has seeped into craft beer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

It's like everything in culture.

When there is a inbalance, the effort to redress is always results in at a minimum, an appearance of going to far the other way.

The fact that there are complaints happening about the reverse of misogyny and the silliness of some of it is a good sign - it means that society is moving in the right direction.

We've pretty much treated women like second class citizens for...well, forever. If the act of redressing that results in some overshoot into silliness, that is not exactly of great import.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Here are some of the labels that have recently generated complaints:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

Most of those labels look like the work of 13 year old boys hitting puberty though.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on February 17, 2017, 04:56:31 AM
Most of those labels look like the work of 13 year old boys hitting puberty though.

Yeah, pretty juvenile, I can sympatize with their objections.

The Brain

If I were forced to buy stuff I'd be pretty pissed too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on February 17, 2017, 04:56:31 AM

Yeah, there is plenty there to find objectionable.

I don't understand what the actual complaint is though - just don't buy it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned