And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 08, 2023, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2023, 09:41:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2023, 06:43:38 PMI thought Marx was a writer, not a serial killer.

Nor a Bolshevik

Nor a Marxist.

:D

That leaves Engels as a possible candidate for Marxist.  :hmm:
Likely founder of Marxism as well.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Conservative Christian activists truly are christ like. If there's one thing Jesus is known for his it's contempt of the young and poor and refusal to help them. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

In north, American evangelicals tend to believe that the Bible is literally true. It is a mystery then why they choose to ignore most of what the Bible says.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2023, 07:34:56 AMIn north, American evangelicals tend to believe that the Bible is literally true. It is a mystery then why they choose to ignore most of what the Bible says.

They mean the Bible is literally true in the same way that woman above believed Karl Marx literally went around murdering gay people.

They mean that they have a set of beliefs which they hold and think those beliefs will appear stronger and more secure if they use the word "Biblical" to describe them.  Any resemblance of those beliefs to the teachings of the actual Biblical text is mostly coincidental.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2023, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2023, 07:34:56 AMIn north, American evangelicals tend to believe that the Bible is literally true. It is a mystery then why they choose to ignore most of what the Bible says.

They mean the Bible is literally true in the same way that woman above believed Karl Marx literally went around murdering gay people.

They mean that they have a set of beliefs which they hold and think those beliefs will appear stronger and more secure if they use the word "Biblical" to describe them.  Any resemblance of those beliefs to the teachings of the actual Biblical text is mostly coincidental.

As I think Malthus pointed out many times, the evangelicals like to quote Leviticus in defence of their anti-gay policies, but I have yet to see them avoid pork, avoid wearing clothing made of multiple fabrics, or stone someone to death for working on the Lord's day.

The Minsky Moment

Also very few of them are geniune Levites.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

As Minsky wrote, being religious is just an excuse for them to hold on to whatever selfish stance the world is trying to take away from them. The views don't -and rarely do- have to be aligned with actual Christian values.

I know religious individuals who use religion as a source of strength to keep to actual Christian values, so I am aware the above doesn't describe everyone religious, but it sure describes the spiteful scum like that quoted lady.

Josquius

I dunno. Calvinism overall tends to have this sort of outlook that seems quite at odds with jesus
██████
██████
██████

Syt

From my middle sister and her son in law:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Honestly this makes me happy to see. The transphobes really don't like it when you point out they're just going down the list now that being anti gay isn't going to get them anywhere. Always nice to see them just rip off the mask and admit what they're about.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

On the plus side, it's good to see Syt's family condemning Matt Gaetz.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on July 11, 2023, 10:51:43 AM(snip) I know religious individuals who use religion as a source of strength to keep to actual Christian values, so I am aware the above doesn't describe everyone religious, but it sure describes the spiteful scum like that quoted lady.

Those who are really Christians don't brag about it, and those who brag about it aren't really Christians.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2023, 08:06:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 11, 2023, 10:51:43 AM(snip) I know religious individuals who use religion as a source of strength to keep to actual Christian values, so I am aware the above doesn't describe everyone religious, but it sure describes the spiteful scum like that quoted lady.

Those who are really Christians don't brag about it, and those who brag about it aren't really Christians.

I think it has become, at least, for a certain segment of the population, more of a cultural identity than a spiritual identity.

Easier to fight culture wars when you don't have to pay attention to the religious teachings of your supposed faith.