News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2022, 04:34:22 PMI always thought "Happy Holidays" was specifically designed to make Jews feel included.  Other than that it doesn't make a lot of sense.
My mom has old Christmas card, since from I was a kid, long before our society care about people's feeling, and many of them said "Joyeuses Fêtes" (Happy Holidays) with a Christian them for the picture.  I doubt Jews would have a particular attachment to baby Jesus on a card (Note, please Malthus, spare us the obligatory Jews for Jesus debate :P )
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Happy holidays to me just means Xmas, new year, and the whole shebang.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2022, 04:34:22 PMI always thought "Happy Holidays" was specifically designed to make Jews feel included.  Other than that it doesn't make a lot of sense.

It originated long before the sentiment of being inclusive of Jews was at all prevalent.  Near as I can tell, it was originally a Christian phrase referring to all the Sundays of the Advent, as well as Christmas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Because it used to be a whole series of festivals. And in a sense it still is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on December 15, 2022, 05:58:16 PMHappy holidays to me just means Xmas, new year, and the whole shebang.

Me too.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2022, 05:53:43 PM
My mom has old Christmas card, since from I was a kid, long before our society care about people's feeling, and many of them said "Joyeuses Fêtes" (Happy Holidays) with a Christian them for the picture.  I doubt Jews would have a particular attachment to baby Jesus on a card (Note, please Malthus, spare us the obligatory Jews for Jesus debate :P )

It's so weird because here it always been Happy Holidays. There's , historically, 3 of them in 3 weeks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2022, 03:42:05 PMIt is just weird. One would think that if you hate Democratic voters and Democratic politicians you would, you know, have reasons for doing so based on things they actually do.
This kind of propaganda is designed for people too ignorant to understand the nuances of actual politics.  Anyone is capable of understanding 'DEMOCRAPS EAT BABIES!!!!!!!!1111111111111"  :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2022, 01:47:06 AMFrom my sister, a nurse. :ph34r:

.... I really hope she's joking. If not... Hope her employer sees this.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

I think the extent to which medical system should aim to preserve life is debatable and debated.  Nurses are allowed to have an opinion about that, as long as they don't act on it.

Razgovory

Last time I was in the hospital the nurse wanted me dead from the moment she looked at me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 17, 2022, 04:09:37 AMLast time I was in the hospital the nurse wanted me dead from the moment she looked at me.

I didn't realize you went to the same hospital that Syt's sister works at  :P

Seriously thoug maybe you shouldn't share every thought you have on social media?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2022, 03:51:49 AMI think the extent to which medical system should aim to preserve life is debatable and debated.  Nurses are allowed to have an opinion about that, as long as they don't act on it.

Agreed.  There's a lot of end-of-life procedures routinely undertaken that probably should not be, and a lot of people in hospitals that should be in hospices.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

grumbler

Bayraktar!