News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah, the Holocaust and the Killing Fields didn't trigger the "EVIL RULES THE WORLD" shit but normal street crime does.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2022, 01:27:57 AMI find this constant fear fascinating. John Oliver recently looked at how media reports about crime skew perceptions of it.

I remember, 10 or so years ago, I mentioned to my sister that if I were to visit them I might take a stop in NYC to see the city. Response: "What do you want there? You want to get shot?" And she was not hyperbolic.
I've been saying this myself.  The real media bias is the cherry-picking of the worst things that happen to people and forming a narrative around it.  They may not intentionally be helping the authoritarians by doing this, but since authoritarians feed off fear, they're helping them nonetheless.  Apart from the politics of it all, it also lowers people's quality of life by making them fearful of things that are extremely unlikely to happen.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

The second pretty much follows from the first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 09, 2022, 01:39:09 AMThe second pretty much follows from the first.

Disagree.  It wouldn't work if Sweden was Sweland.

DGuller

Id Sweden were Sweland, then the first thing wouldn't work.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Is wearing a giant sock on your head while violating the US Flag Code the way one demonstrates emotional strength these days?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 09, 2022, 10:57:28 AMIs wearing a giant sock on your head while violating the US Flag Code the way one demonstrates emotional strength these days?
SNOWFLAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
PDH!

Jacob

I think the guy in the picture is supposed to be an example of "emotionally weak nowadays" folk.

Valmy

I have a hard time imagining somebody looking at the internet the current generation has to confront everyday and thinking that is somehow watered down and curated in a way my generation which just had network TV wasn't.

That just doesn't make any sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

The whinging you often see about participation trophies gets me.
Millennials and gen z didn't choose that. It was set up by their parents generation.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2022, 10:13:27 AMId Sweden were Sweland, then the first thing wouldn't work.

Sweland vs. Denmark would still be SWE vs. DEN.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2022, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2022, 10:13:27 AMId Sweden were Sweland, then the first thing wouldn't work.

Sweland vs. Denmark would still be SWE vs. DEN.

What is this Sweden place?  I come from Sweland.