News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Without running afoul of the Constitution and the rulings from the USSC, what can be done either by the Feds or the States?

The problem, imho, lies in that just about anyone, without training or qualifications can buy a gun.
Can this be changed?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

There are lots of guns laws in the states.  Things like restrictions on types of firearms, kinds of ammo.  Number of weapons that can be purchased per month, all sorts of pre-purchase requirements (e.g. letters of reference).  Much is this has been upheld as constitutional after Heller (the big 2nd amendment supreme court case).  The states still have a lot of leeway for regulation - some use it, some don't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

I would like to think this problem can solved from a public health perspective, much like smoking.  In 1952, more than 50% of Americans smoked tobacco.  Since then, it has taken decades of long-term advertising campaigns, consistent messaging, constant outreach at all levels with engagement, awareness and education from kindergartens to expectant mothers to one's own life expectancy--and only when the Federal and state governments decided to pull one of the most magnificently cynical fuck-your-buddy reversals on an industry ever, did the anti-smoking movement begin to get traction for true change on a societal level.  Has it eliminated it, no.  But it has made a tremendous dent and continues to do so.

But guns aren't cigarettes.  They're not scalable consumables like cigarettes;  they're more of a permanent and simply unavoidable aspect of everyday modern society, just like traffic. 

Never mind the industry, the NRA, the politicians and all the issues endemic to the politics of nonsense; the fact is that guns and gun ownership are too ingrained into the fabric of American society and what it means to be an American.  It isn't a matter of being an aspect of culture or even a dysfunctional aspect of culture: it is our culture. Like Japanese and sushi, Russians and criminal activity or Europeans and killing Jews, it is simply a unique and unfortunate element of permanent cultural identity.  And for every wife killer, drug deal shootout or mass shooting event, you've still got millions of derfetusfacefuckers arguing, donating and voting with zero-tolerance zealotry for the unfettered access to all manner of ridiculous and incredibly unnecessary combat firearms, all to maintain a well-regulated militia for fighting the government and shooting large dogs with antlers.

Even after decades of massacres, if this nation can't be bothered to do anything after 20 first graders get their skulls canoed like exploding cantaloupes by a psychopath with unfettered access to ridiculous and incredibly unnecessary combat firearms, then it simply can't be bothered.  Hell, the exponential growth of the Sandy Hook truthers and conspiracy industry makes the moon landing nutters look minor league, and the lack of any movement on legislation only demonstrated both the true strength of the political resistance and lack of political will.  There will be no tremendous dents made in this public health issue.  Not now, not ever. 

Your best course of action in avoiding gun violence is to be aware and vigilant in regards to your surroundings, hope it doesn't happen to you that day--and if it does, to place your faith in luck, fate, Fortuna, a higher power or whatever, and emergency first aid to survive.  You know, just like traffic.

mongers

Is that why debates on gun laws invariably end up looking like a car crash?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 04, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2015, 10:59:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2015, 10:52:28 AM
You guys are kind of making me think that having people in on earth means our planet's days are numbered.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Typical.

I think the planet's best chance is to get rid of humans, we are back to nuking from orbit, only way to make sure.

So, can someone run the numbers and tell me just how many nukes we need to get rid of all humanity please. Thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Either amend the Constitution or require a person submit to psychological testing prior to purchase.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 04:21:09 PM
Either amend the Constitution or require a person submit to psychological testing prior to purchase.
I am under the impression that amending the Constitution is not feasible.  As for psy testing, can it be done with the current laws?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
I am under the impression that amending the Constitution is not feasible.  As for psy testing, can it be done with the current laws?

To quote the emminent legal thinker Al Gore, I don't think there's any controlling authority on the question of psych testing.

derspiess

My response to the question is Seedy's avatar  :sleep:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Would ammo control ala switzerland work?

And if guns can't be gotten rid of then at the least surely the problem can be greatly reduced by making more human cities (yes. Completely redesigning your wife of life is easier than getting rid of a little bit of metal. Pfff)
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2015, 07:26:48 PM
And if guns can't be gotten rid of then at the least surely the problem can be greatly reduced by making more human cities

Wrong. The vast majority of gun violence on this planet is committed by humans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 06, 2015, 07:50:08 PM

So you concede the point about wife of life?

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2015, 03:24:07 PM
Is that why debates on gun laws invariably end up looking like a car crash?
More like the aftermath of one.  One side has it exactly right and another one has it exactly wrong, but the exactly wrong side will sill ruthlessly bullshit about what happened and why it happened.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 08:12:53 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 06, 2015, 07:50:08 PM

So you concede the point about wife of life?

Sure. People trade those in for new models all the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017