News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Now this is some fucked up shit right here...

Started by Berkut, December 04, 2015, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/magazine/the-serial-swatter.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

This is just completely nuts. The fact that this little anti-social psycho basically gets a slap on the wrist is astounding.

What about whatever adults enabled him? Who paid for his internet and ignored what he was doing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

These guys are costing tax payers millions and creating serious public safety concerns that could, and probably have, lead to death and injury. Eventually something is going to be done about it and then we will all suffer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

This particular case does illustrate a serious problem though - how do you deal with this kind of international crime?

This asshole was in Canada (typical Canadian), and look how hard it was to do anything about it.

What if he was in Russia? Or China?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 11:41:58 AM
This particular case does illustrate a serious problem though - how do you deal with this kind of international crime?

This asshole was in Canada (typical Canadian), and look how hard it was to do anything about it.

What if he was in Russia? Or China?

Oh a solution to this problem will eventually be reached. And we will not like it. This is how psychopaths ruin it for everybody else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Yeah I agree with Valmy. The most likely long term outcome, to me, will be the end of any anonymity on the Internet.

Razgovory

It sounds like reckless endangerment.  That's like a one year sentence.  16 months seems appropriate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Wow, it's amazing no one got shot given how many people he swatted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2015, 11:57:45 AM
Yeah I agree with Valmy. The most likely long term outcome, to me, will be the end of any anonymity on the Internet.
Maybe there will be some good in that.  Anonymity has certainly played part in a lot of deleterious effects of the Internet age on society.

grumbler

For the Canuck lawyers (or CC, if no lawyers care to respond):  can the US victims of this guy sue under Canadian law?  Could they sufficiently prove their case if the evidence in the story is accurate?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2015, 12:47:59 PM
Almost certainly judgment proof.
Really?  Just how much do the parents make, and what is the upper limit of worth that qualifies as judgement-proof in Canada/his jurisdiction?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Wasn't there a Twitch streamer who was swatted while live?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2015, 01:30:26 PM
Wasn't there a Twitch streamer who was swatted while live?

Wasn't that one fake? I don't remember.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2015, 12:43:18 PM
For the Canuck lawyers (or CC, if no lawyers care to respond):  can the US victims of this guy sue under Canadian law?  Could they sufficiently prove their case if the evidence in the story is accurate?

I would imagine they could. The Canadian courts would have jurisdiction over this guy and his harassment has a jurisdictional nexus with Canada, as well as where his victims lived. He's carried on malicious acts that deliberately caused trauma and so damages to his victims as well as costs to the first responders (assuming, as stated, the accuracy of the story), so it shouldn't be too hard to find a tort theory that would fit.

Another possibility is suing the fellow in the home state of the victims, then seeking recognition and enforcement of those judgment(s) in Canada. That has become much easier in recent years under Canadian laws. That has the benefit, as far as the victims are concerned, of putting the onus and expense on this guy to try and defend the action(s) in another country (nowadays you can't sit back and ignore a foreign proceeding against you - Canadian courts will enforce them here if you do, and you will be fucked). 

Whether this guy has assets that would make suing him anywhere worthwhile is of course another story.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius