The Incredible Shrinking Incomes of Young Americans

Started by Syt, November 26, 2015, 07:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on December 02, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 02, 2015, 12:11:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2015, 11:53:11 AM
It seems like at some point you have to make a value judgment on everything that can make you poor.  Should the safety net protect you if you had the bad luck of having a serious and permanent disability?  Should the safety net protect you if you had the bad luck of losing your job?  Should it protect you if you had the bad luck of being born stupid?  Should it protect you if you had the bad luck of being born without a drive?

No one is born stupid. Many people just degenerate mentally after birth.

That's not true at all. There are tons of people who just don't get it.

That's a lesson I learned when I was 12 or so. One of my school friends was a really hard-working student, who would diligently study several hours every day. Yet he struggled in most subjects. It was a puzzling realization for me, since I aced most classes effortlessly.

I don't know how to respond to this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2015, 03:05:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2015, 02:56:50 PM
I have never seen a country where the welfare safety net was sufficiently enticing I would consider abandoning my work for that kind of lifestyle - so I am not too concerned with the "motivations" argument...
No safety net can provide you the lifestyle of a gay Polish lawyer.  Some of them could compete with actual employment on providing you the lifestyle of an unskilled laborer, however.

So as unskilled laborers quit to live off the dole, the value of unskilled labor goes up. Eventually robots are gonna take most of those jobs anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 02, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
So as unskilled laborers quit to live off the dole, the value of unskilled labor goes up.
Nope, the jobs will go to undocumented illegals, because no native wants to do them.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
So as unskilled laborers quit to live off the dole, the value of unskilled labor goes up.
Nope, the jobs will go to undocumented illegals, because no native wants to do them.

Well, assuming there are enforced immigration laws, the value of unskilled labor goes up.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

It seems like at some point you have to make a value judgment on everything that can make you poor.  Should the safety net protect you if you had the bad luck of having a serious and permanent disability?  Should the safety net protect you if you had the bad luck of losing your job?  Should it protect you if you had the bad luck of being born stupid?  Should it protect you if you had the bad luck of being born without a drive?

That's a lesson I learned when I was 12 or so. One of my school friends was a really hard-working student, who would diligently study several hours every day. Yet he struggled in most subjects. It was a puzzling realization for me, since I aced most classes effortlessly.

That hard working guy will likely do well though. The desire, ability, and willingness to simply work hard is, IMO, more valuable than intelligence. Smart lazy people are often worse than useless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 02, 2015, 03:36:42 PM

Well, assuming there are enforced immigration laws, the value of unskilled labor goes up.

No because legal immigrants who are either not eligible for the welfare or just happy to earn that money step in to do it.

Martinus

Yeah. That's how Donald Trump got his wives.

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2015, 03:38:29 PM

That hard working guy will likely do well though. The desire, ability, and willingness to simply work hard is, IMO, more valuable than intelligence. Smart lazy people are often worse than useless.

Fuck you too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2015, 03:38:29 PM
Depends on the job, I would say.
QuoteThose who are clever and industrious I appoint to the General Staff. Use can under certain circumstances be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy qualifies for the highest leadership posts. He has the requisite nerves and the mental clarity for difficult decisions. But whoever is stupid and industrious must be got rid of, for he is too dangerous."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2015, 11:34:52 AMI do think there is an element here of wishing for the world to work in a certain way, and assuming that it would, if only society could make it so...

I think shedding this is one of the fundamental hallmarks of maturity. You see it all the time in teenagers who want to fix society to make it more conducive to what they believe will make them successful. Or if you read Paradox OT for five minutes. The first instinct is always to blame society. Only after you get rid of that and start to look at improving yourself can you make any progress. That kind of thinking can actually hold incredibly intelligent people back from achieving what they could otherwise accomplish. And of course the first instinct is to blame society again. Rinse, repeat.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 02, 2015, 04:52:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2015, 11:34:52 AMI do think there is an element here of wishing for the world to work in a certain way, and assuming that it would, if only society could make it so...

I think shedding this is one of the fundamental hallmarks of maturity. You see it all the time in teenagers who want to fix society to make it more conducive to what they believe will make them successful. Or if you read Paradox OT for five minutes. The first instinct is always to blame society. Only after you get rid of that and start to look at improving yourself can you make any progress. That kind of thinking can actually hold incredibly intelligent people back from achieving what they could otherwise accomplish. And of course the first instinct is to blame society again. Rinse, repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

I have never seen a country where the welfare safety net was sufficiently enticing I would consider abandoning my work for that kind of lifestyle - so I am not too concerned with the "motivations" argument...
Oh, i have seen plenty of people with low expectations.
They value their free time over the freedom provided by money. I really cannot understand them, but they are there, cashing their welfare checks paid for with my taxes.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2015, 04:29:54 PM
Oh, i have seen plenty of people with low expectations.
They value their free time over the freedom provided by money. I really cannot understand them, but they are there, cashing their welfare checks paid for with my taxes.

Not my taxes though. My taxes are all going to make up for the $10 million dollars Willie Nelson didn't pay back in 1990.  It is a good cause.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."