Free yoga class cancelled - is guilty of "cultural appropriation"

Started by Barrister, November 23, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2015, 05:15:43 AM
Damn, and here I was thinking that borrowing and cultural cross-fertilization was supposed to be a GOOD thing. Probably every single aspect of our culture has been borrowed from another culture at some point in history.

If there are vague "respect" issues at hand, look at that, not at the phenomenon of cultural borrowing itself.

Yes. I think intent is important here. In a globalized society trying to keep every culture segregated and every cultural element controlled by the Academy is a fools errand anyway. I think establishing some basic rules of etiquette might be useful rather than just flailing around at arbitrary things and subjectively declaring a crime has occurred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2015, 01:45:25 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 24, 2015, 01:39:56 AM
Interestingly, the radical Hindutva types would agree that this is "cultural appropriation". I doubt the students would agree with many of the other views of the Hindutva types though.
Cool?

Radical nationalists suck and should not be heeded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2015, 11:59:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2015, 05:41:31 PM
I've made jokes to my yoga-enthusiast friends about how they're guilty of cultural appropriation.  I guess it's no longer a joke.

Who wants to appropriate their dirty ass culture, chock full of rape-rape entitlement, sex-selective abortion, dowry murders and other nifty gender inequalities--especially since you've got your own kindler, gentler misogynistic culture thingy going on, amirite?

:lol:

:hug:

Grey Fox

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 23, 2015, 09:59:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2015, 04:13:35 PM
Cultural Appropriation is not a particularly useful concept because it is so arbitrary and difficult to define. And of course it brings up the issue of who owns a culture and who doesn't which is equally arbitrary and difficult to define, and whomever this owner is can theoretically give or withdraw permission for "their" culture to be used in such way I presume?

I think this is a fight against tackiness and lack of respect for certain cultural practices and traditions but I think one can claim something is tacky and not authentic without insinuating some kind of atrocity has occurred.

This.  Couldn't the argument be made that most of the francophone Quebecois culture is "cultural appropriation" of French culture?

I don't know, it's more like we appropriate American culture & translate it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2015, 03:27:48 PM
Quote"People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find," said Scharf.

Amen sister.

Lol, double Amen on that.    :huh: 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2015, 11:15:54 AM

Impossible. When this appears to be happening, it's due to American cultural imperialism.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Personally, I am offended by all of those hipsters, celebrities and others using Yiddish words.  :mad: They have a lot of chutzpah.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

It is not appropriation to take American culture because we export it and are a gigantic world power. I think. It only applies to minority colonized cultures. But then India today is a gigantic power itself that exports its culture around the world so...as I said it is arbitrary.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 11:22:15 AM
Personally, I am offended by all of those hipsters, celebrities and others using Yiddish words.  :mad: They have a lot of chutzpah.

Mazeltov

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2015, 11:38:19 AM

It is not appropriation to take American culture because we export it and are a gigantic world power. I think. It only applies to minority colonized cultures. But then India today is a gigantic power itself that exports its culture around the world so...as I said it is arbitrary.

It is fueled by white guilt.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

This is just another extreme example of the silliness of the narcissistic left.

It is one of the reasons why even more stupid shit like Trumparson have traction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
This is just another extreme example of the silliness of the narcissistic left.

It is one of the reasons why even more stupid shit like Trumparson have traction.

The left is in full narcissisistic mode here in the UK. We have a quite unpleasant government, of dubious competence, and they are getting a free ride due to leftish navel-gazing  :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2015, 11:59:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2015, 05:41:31 PM
I've made jokes to my yoga-enthusiast friends about how they're guilty of cultural appropriation.  I guess it's no longer a joke.

Who wants to appropriate their dirty ass culture, chock full of rape-rape entitlement, sex-selective abortion, dowry murders and other nifty gender inequalities--especially since you've got your own kindler, gentler misogynistic culture thingy going on, amirite?

Pretty much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

I don't care about yoga. But this better not affect the popularity of yoga pants.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom