Free yoga class cancelled - is guilty of "cultural appropriation"

Started by Barrister, November 23, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2015, 03:25:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 03:17:50 PM
Wow, Canada Universities are fucked up.  :lol:

FYP.

Yeah, this is key. Bill Maher for instance, who's about as left as they come, has been going on at length of late, about the craziness of political correctness at universities.
I guess it's a sign of how good things are now, that so-called liberals need to come up with this shit to bitch about.
there was a meme on social media that had a cartoon of students carrying signs and saying "We are angry as hell. We're not sure yet what about."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2015, 03:28:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2015, 03:22:20 PM
Wow, Canada is fucked up.  :lol:

Never confuse Ontario with Canada - its actually one of the red flags one is from Ontario  :D

The way Canada is fucked up: any idiocy is an excuse for regionalism.  :P

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2015, 03:43:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2015, 03:25:45 PM
Wow, Canada Universities are fucked up.  :lol:

FYP.

Yeah, this is key. Bill Maher for instance, who's about as left as they come, has been going on at length of late, about the craziness of political correctness at universities.
I guess it's a sign of how good things are now, that so-called liberals need to come up with this shit to bitch about.
there was a meme on social media that had a cartoon of students carrying signs and saying "We are angry as hell. We're not sure yet what about."

I love Bill Maher - he is my kind of left.

Martinus

Can someone explain to me the concept of "cultural appropriation", by the way?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 03:49:10 PM
Can someone explain to me the concept of "cultural appropriation", by the way?

Seems like a feature not a bug.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Cultural Appropriation is not a particularly useful concept because it is so arbitrary and difficult to define. And of course it brings up the issue of who owns a culture and who doesn't which is equally arbitrary and difficult to define, and whomever this owner is can theoretically give or withdraw permission for "their" culture to be used in such way I presume?

I think this is a fight against tackiness and lack of respect for certain cultural practices and traditions but I think one can claim something is tacky and not authentic without insinuating some kind of atrocity has occurred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2015, 04:13:35 PM
Cultural Appropriation is not a particularly useful concept because it is so arbitrary and difficult to define. And of course it brings up the issue of who owns a culture and who doesn't which is equally arbitrary and difficult to define, and whomever this owner is can theoretically give or withdraw permission for "their" culture to be used in such way I presume?

I think this is a fight against tackiness and lack of respect for certain cultural practices and traditions but I think one can claim something is tacky and not authentic without insinuating some kind of atrocity has occurred.

Ah ok so it's another way for the idiots on the left to feel bad about themselves?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 03:39:15 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 23, 2015, 03:37:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 03:28:39 PM
I can't wait for the inevitable backlash.
It'll be pretty ugly.

This is a great way to encourage an insular, anti-multicultural mindset among people.  It's like teh No Nothings have been operating in the Left the same way HYDRA was in SHIELD.

Yeah I have been saying during the last few months of the refugee crisis. The left is so out of touch and idiotic on this, people will end up flocking to the authoritarian right.

it's the logical end-result of political-correctness.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 04:25:48 PM
Ah ok so it's another way for the idiots on the left to feel bad about themselves?

There is something noble about try to make a more just society so in the important issues I feel like I am aligned with leftists on social issues. But prioritizing justice above everything, like reasonableness and good sense, and becoming obsessed with a kind of purely just existence can take people down some absurd paths.

The right wing freedom nuts we have here in the US are the same. Sure freedom and justice are great and excellent foundation values for our civilization and all but let's not go crazy. They are not the only principles to consider here.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2015, 04:13:35 PM

Doesn't seem so. The Japanese were the ones behind the kimono exhibition that was canceled due to protests.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 23, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Doesn't seem so. The Japanese were the ones behind the komino exhibition that was canceled due to protests.

Wow. Ok then.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2015, 04:50:45 PM
There is something noble about try to make a more just society so in the important issues I feel like I am aligned with leftists on social issues. But prioritizing justice above everything, like reasonableness and good sense, and becoming obsessed with a kind of purely just existence can take people down some absurd paths.

The right wing freedom nuts we have here in the US are the same. Sure freedom and justice are great and excellent foundation values for our civilization and all but let's not go crazy. They are not the only principles to consider here.

The problem IMO is not prioritizing justice above everything else, but rather granting carte blanche to vocal, heavily-politicized, "socially aware" spokespeople for protected minorities to decide what is offensive.  That's a recipe for everything to be offensive.

derspiess

I've made jokes to my yoga-enthusiast friends about how they're guilty of cultural appropriation.  I guess it's no longer a joke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall