The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 06:10:34 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 05:51:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:52:24 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.

Then you really haven't thought enough about the subject.  Go ahead, think about it some.  Think about it for three months straight and come back and tell what you think.

I am no stranger to existential anxiety, believe me. Those episodes invariably lead me to look for ways to cheat death. Existence is infinitely better than the alternative; There's no room for hope in oblivion.

There is no room for hope, period.  You will die.  The Earth will die.  All free energy will die.  There's a reason why there's a link between suicide and atheism.  It's why I want to believe in a God.  It is a hope, however slim.

These will occur on very different timescales. And we might be able to think something up in a billion years.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

mongers

Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.

Then you really haven't thought enough about the subject.  Go ahead, think about it some.  Think about it for three months straight and come back and tell what you think.

I am no stranger to existential anxiety, believe me. Those episodes invariably lead me to look for ways to cheat death. Existence is infinitely better than the alternative; There's no room for hope in oblivion.

There is no room for hope, period.  You will die.  The Earth will die.  All free energy will die.  There's a reason why there's a link between suicide and atheism.  It's why I want to believe in a God.  It is a hope, however slim.

So these suicide bombers and terrorists did have some slim hope that there really will be 72 virgin brides awaiting each of them?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 06:04:11 PMYes, but those are still subjective feelings.  Chemical reactions. Are they objectively worth anything?  Not really.

your notions on existence being worthless is also a chemical reaction.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 06:04:11 PM
Yes, but those are still subjective feelings.  Chemical reactions. Are they objectively worth anything?  Not really.
Is the feeling of hunger worth anything?  I don't know, I just fucking eat when I get it.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 06:14:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2015, 06:13:19 PM
Very odd.

That's what they said at Fulton State Hospital.

What you've described sounds far less bleak than say if I die, I get to spend an eternity in Hell. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2015, 07:04:09 PM
Very odd.

What you've described sounds far less bleak than say if I die, I get to spend an eternity in Hell. :D
You know, you still have to time to get that homosexuality taken care of.   I'm sure there are plenty of non-suicidal religious leaders willing to work with you on that.

Eddie Teach

It kinda sounded like it *was* hell. I'm not sure how there'd be an afterlife with no God, yet there you are silently screaming in an elevator for eternity.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 03:44:18 PM
Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

Given that your conception of what atheism must lead to, and the observation that atheists are not off killing themselves left and right, you might consider that perhaps your conception might have some flaws in it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2015, 09:43:36 PM
Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

Given that your conception of what atheism must lead to, and the observation that atheists are not off killing themselves left and right, you might consider that perhaps your conception might have some flaws in it.
No true atheist doesn't kill himself.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2015, 09:43:36 PM

I didn't say they were going to kill themselves, I said they were at least vaguely suicidal.  Some of course are atheists because it makes them feel superior to others.  The ones that I call "posers".  The observation that atheists are not killing themselves "left and right", is not a very stringent one.  Care you clarify what you mean?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 22, 2015, 06:29:19 PM

So these suicide bombers and terrorists did have some slim hope that there really will be 72 virgin brides awaiting each of them?

In a materialist universe not at all.  In such a universe the idea that you can shoot up music venue to get to a higher plane of existence is objectively wrong.  Here's the kicker, though.  Going on a shooting rampage is not objectively wrong.  It is no more right or wrong then winning the Nobel prize in peace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on November 22, 2015, 06:48:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 06:04:11 PMYes, but those are still subjective feelings.  Chemical reactions. Are they objectively worth anything?  Not really.

your notions on existence being worthless is also a chemical reaction.

This is true, my understanding of it and my reaction to it is a chemical reaction.  The reality of it is also true.  I can have an understanding of the sun that is close to objective reality, that the sun is a big ball hydrogen fusion.  This is fairly close to what the sun actually is.  If I understand it as a the shield of warrior marching across the sky or as a chariot of Ra, this is a also a chemical reaction but my understanding is not very close to the reality of the sun.

Razgovory

Very odd.

Good for you.  I imagine that coping mechanism is common among a lot people.  Especially ones that do things that are prohibited by a religion, like murder or theft.

frunk

Personally I find Atheism much more comforting than the idea of an intelligent being designing a capricious and violent universe for individuals to suffer in, and in which there is no physical evidence that there is anything after death.  However awful nothing is an all powerful being out to cause pain is much worse, even if redemption is supposedly possible.

The idea of dying and all of my existence going away doesn't bother me, it's an intrinsic part of life.  Whatever minimal point my life has it would be diminished if by continuing to exist I prevented something else from having its chance at life.  To be bothered by the idea of the universe ceasing to exist billions of years from now strikes me as silly, I'm much more bothered by the idea that there are incredible and amazing things going on in other places and times of the universe that I'll never get to see.

I get to choose the point of my life, it only matters to me and it won't matter at all once I'm dead.  I don't have the ego or hubris to think my life should matter more than that.

Grinning_Colossus

The implications of a materialist universe are quite dire, and likely to send a mind reeling, looking for alternatives. Recent history (the last century or two) is, I think, the story of humanity grappling those implications, either by writing new values on new tablets, or distracting ourselves with striving and consumption, or clinging to old cosmologies with ferocious desperation. So this digression is actually quite relevant: Raqqa is a product of the Enlightenment as much as is New York or Pyongyang.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?