News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2015, 07:54:52 PM
A more important question: if god is omnipotent, can he microwave a burrito so hot that even he cannot eat it?

Wow, your linguistic paradox has completely discredited the concept of omnipotence. Congratulations!

More seriously, though, I think the definition of omnipotence people use only applies to self-contained, measurable actions. An omnipotent being can heat a burrito to any specific temperature or ingest one at any specific temperature or create a boulder of any specific mass or lift that boulder, etc. How that action relates to other actions or the being's abilities is an extraneous layer of meaning on top; when it  is reduced to a measurable action, the paradox disappears.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2015, 02:43:23 PM
Some US governors would make good EU heads of government:

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attacks-live-updates/arkansas-governor-says-his-state-opposes-settling-syrian-refugees/

QuoteMultiple Republican Governors Say They Oppose the Entry of Syrian Refugees

My sisters are happy: http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/50025186-story

QuoteGovernor to feds: Keep Syrian refugees out of Florida

Gov. Rick Scott said the state will not be willing to accept any refuges from Syria, adding Florida to the growing list of states changing their minds in the wake of the Paris terror attacks.

After reports that one of the Paris terrorists posed as a Syrian refugee to gain access to Europe, Scott asked the federal government Monday not to send any Syrian refugees to Florida.

"We are probably the best melting pot in the world, Florida is," Scott said. "Let's find out what happened, especially when you find out one of the terrorists was posed as a refugee."

The governor's words elicited sharp criticism from the country's largest Islamic civil rights group, the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"Why is he so weak that he is giving in to the demands of terrorist organizations?" asked CAIR's Florida chapter executive director, Hassan Shibly. "We fear that may incite further acts of violence, because they see they are getting exactly what they want."

Shibly points out a study by the non-partisan Migration Policy Institute that says of 784,000 refugees that have resettled in the United States since 9/11, only three were accused of plotting terrorism.

Further, the study said refugees endure a two-year screening process by American intelligence agencies.

"They're escaping from ISIS," said Shibly. "They are the victims of ISIS."

None of the terrorists in France have been confirmed to be Syrian refugees, though one reportedly posed as one.

The 25 state governors who said no to refugees, 24 of them being Republicans, insist they're playing it safe.

"It is imperative that Texas do everything we can to ensure that we don't have a Syrian refugee sneak into the state of Texas who can pose a similar terrorist nature," said Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I wonder if they outsource to Indian Muslims?  :hmm:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris-terror-attacks/isis-has-help-desk-terrorists-staffed-around-clock-n464391

QuoteISIS Has Help Desk for Terrorists Staffed Around the Clock
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

I don't understand.  Say one state accepts the Syrians.  Can't they then move to another state to live or work?  Isn't it state to state, no papers? :unsure:

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on November 17, 2015, 06:01:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2015, 02:43:23 PM
Some US governors would make good EU heads of government:

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attacks-live-updates/arkansas-governor-says-his-state-opposes-settling-syrian-refugees/

QuoteMultiple Republican Governors Say They Oppose the Entry of Syrian Refugees

My sisters are happy: http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/50025186-story

QuoteGovernor to feds: Keep Syrian refugees out of Florida

Gov. Rick Scott said the state will not be willing to accept any refuges from Syria, adding Florida to the growing list of states changing their minds in the wake of the Paris terror attacks.

<_<

Oh well, that's what happens when we elect the head of SPECTRE governor. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on November 17, 2015, 06:04:16 AM
I don't understand.  Say one state accepts the Syrians.  Can't they then move to another state to live or work?  Isn't it state to state, no papers? :unsure:

Yes, this is largely an empty gesture.  I believe the state they move to provides some temporary shelter and maybe training, but in the long run they're free to move anywhere they please.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Speaking of empty gestures, courtesy of my brother in law:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

The panic of the (mostly Republican) governors is especially amusing when one realizes that the refugees that are to be accepted have been in Lebanese refugee camps for two years now waiting for admission to the US.  They aren't brand-new refugees.

Not that facts ever stopped a politician from a good news-making attack of hysteria.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2015, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 16, 2015, 10:59:03 PM
Greece still has a big army doesn't it? How about France hire them as mercanaries on the national level by paying off the country's debt?

I think if we're going to get Byzantium involved in the ME again, they should at least take back Constantinople first.

Don't forget that for French leftists and others, like former leftist/commies but not neo-cons, e.g Chirac, Turkey is the heir of Byzantium.

Liep

Because they're a Languish favourite:

They have weapons
Fuck them
We have champagne

I find it funny. /ducks and covers
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

I think the governors are rightly concerned with scenarios where crazy people with guns kill random civilians, given the many shootings that have taken place on US soil.  But instead of trying to prevent crazy people from getting guns, they seem to target the wrong people. 

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2015, 01:46:34 AM
Just pointed out that if the stories are in fact different, then the god in question is not one god but more than one, and hence the "See, we all believe in this thing together!" bit isn't really true.

Does that make sense though? I mean I'm sure different people who have at some point been in my life would tell wildly different stories about me. Are they not all talking about the same person?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 17, 2015, 07:02:16 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2015, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 16, 2015, 10:59:03 PM
Greece still has a big army doesn't it? How about France hire them as mercanaries on the national level by paying off the country's debt?

I think if we're going to get Byzantium involved in the ME again, they should at least take back Constantinople first.

Don't forget that for French leftists and others, like former leftist/commies but not neo-cons, e.g Chirac, Turkey is the heir of Byzantium.

Why would French leftists have any opinion whatsoever on who's the true "heir of Byzantium"? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point