Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteParis shootings in city centre and explosion at Stade de France
6 minutes ago
From the section Europe
Breaking News image
Gunmen have opened fire in several places in the French capital, Paris, causing several casualties, French media report.
At least one man opened fire with an automatic gun at the Cambodge restaurant in the 11th district.
Liberation newspaper reports four deaths. It also reports shootings near the Bataclan arts centre.
An explosion is also reported to have targeted a bar near Stade de France, where France were hosting Germany.
Reports say President Francois Hollande was watching the match and has been evacuated.
A BBC journalist at the Cambodge restaurant says he can see 10 people on the road either dead or seriously injured.
He says police have now arrived.
Shooting is said to be continuing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Newspaper Liberation reports at least 18 dead. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

A witness is reporting hearing gunshots nearby, some distance from the restaurant and the stadium. He says this was in the Rue de Charon (sp?) in the 11th and there were several sustained bursts,  perhaps police engaging with a suspect. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Agence France-Presse (sounds official, never heard of them) reporting hostages taken at a concert hall.

https://twitter.com/AFP

mongers

Possible IS revenge for today's setbacks in Iraq/Syria with the loss of Sinjar town and the elimination of 'Jihadi John'

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2015, 04:44:22 PM
Possible IS revenge for today's setbacks in Iraq/Syria with the loss of Sinjar town and the elimination of 'Jihadi John'

This sounds reasonably well-planned out - you don't throw something like this together in a day.

mongers

Police confirm at least 18 killed.

A reputable French magazine/news journalist says:

QuoteAgnes Poirier
@AgnesCPoirier    5m
3 separate attacks in #Paris now. On going. Hostages at Bataclan theatre, shootout rue de Charonne, 3 explosions near Stade France.18 deads

Incidentally BB, how could you not have heard of AFP, famous, famous news agency/wire service. UK Reuters seem to be slow on this breaking news.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2015, 04:50:09 PM
Police confirm at least 18 killed.

A reputable French magazine/news journalist says:

QuoteAgnes Poirier
@AgnesCPoirier    5m
3 separate attacks in #Paris now. On going. Hostages at Bataclan theatre, shootout rue de Charonne, 3 explosions near Stade France.18 deads

Incidentally BB, how could you not have heard of AFP, famous, famous news agency/wire service. UK Reuters seem to be slow on this breaking news.

Because I can't speak or read French. :mellow:

katmai

Theater is where Eagles of Death Metal :( were playing apparently.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 05:06:34 PM
Because I can't speak or read French. :mellow:

They're the 3rd largest news group in the world (behind Reuters and AP, I think?), and they're sourced by many media in English and German as well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 04:43:50 PM
Agence France-Presse (sounds official, never heard of them) reporting hostages taken at a concert hall.

https://twitter.com/AFP

Really? AFP is one the biggest news agency in the world. Top 3 along with AP & Reuters.

Beatean by 50 seconds.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Well now folks, there are worse things in the world than BB not having heard of AFP.

Crazy_Ivan80