Who will be the Republican Nominee for president?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 11, 2015, 08:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will be the GOP nominee?

Trump
6 (16.7%)
Carson
3 (8.3%)
Rubio
18 (50%)
Cruz
2 (5.6%)
Bush
4 (11.1%)
Paul
0 (0%)
Kaisch
2 (5.6%)
Fiorina
0 (0%)
Huckabee
1 (2.8%)
Christie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Eddie Teach

Jeb! would have made a good candidate 16 years ago. Now he just looks and sounds tired.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on November 11, 2015, 08:49:59 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2015, 08:32:22 PM
I predict Kasich in the end.
:yeahright: That's quite a bold prediction.

It's quite unlikely, but if the right wing candidates split the votes and Rubio sinks due to revelations about his financial troubles, Kasich could win by doing well in blue states has Otto as laid out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I doubt John Kasich could even serve a full term due to health. He might not even realize that yet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 11, 2015, 09:11:44 PM
I doubt John Kasich could even serve a full term due to health. He might not even realize that yet.

What's wrong with him? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2015, 09:14:14 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 11, 2015, 09:11:44 PM

What's wrong with him? :unsure:

Obviously not a doctor.

I think I mentioned last debate that John's movements and gestures look very much like he's got Parkinson's or something similar. He did not have that when he was hosting his TV show.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Rubio would be the smart choice.  If they actually nominate Trump or Carson they might as well not have a general election.  I think Hans has a point that Trump picks up some of the disaffected Democrats, those blessed Blue Dogs that are so beloved here.  I don't think they make up the majority of his base though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2015, 11:00:55 PM
I think Hans has a point that Trump picks up some of the disaffected Democrats, those blessed Blue Dogs that are so beloved here.

Either you don't know what a Blue Dog is or you don't know what a working class democrat is.

Valmy

I think Hans has a point that Trump picks up some of the disaffected Democrats, those blessed Blue Dogs that are so beloved here.

LOL no. :wacko:

Anyway it will probably be Rubio. At least that is who the media is attempting to coronate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2015, 08:55:24 PM
It's quite unlikely, but if the right wing candidates split the votes and Rubio sinks due to revelations about his financial troubles, Kasich could win by doing well in blue states has Otto as laid out.

I still disagree with the implicit assumption that Rubio is not a right wing candidate.

https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates
This site seems to love Cruz the best, but Rubio(along with Rand Paul and Bobby Jindal) is close behind.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/hawkings/cq-vote-studies-cq-vote-watch-rubio-paul-cruz/
Rubio votes against Obama's wishes 76% compared to 46% for average Senate Republican. (Cruz was first at 82%)

http://heritageactionscorecard.com/
This site gives Rubio a 93%, fifth among Senators.

DGuller

Yes, one has to be careful to not mistake being slightly less of a raving lunatic with being sane or moderate.  There are no sane or moderate people on the GOP debate stage, none whatsoever.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2015, 01:10:22 AM
Yes, one has to be careful to not mistake being slightly less of a raving lunatic with being sane or moderate.  There are no sane or moderate people on the GOP debate stage, none whatsoever.

This sounds pretty darn objective.

Eddie Teach

Well, if you look at the chart the Conservative Review site has, they clearly disapprove of Fiorina, Graham, Bush and Christie and have rather mixed views on the two front-runners.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2015, 11:05:00 PM

Either you don't know what a Blue Dog is or you don't know what a working class democrat is.

Or I know what both are, and have no illusions about them.  Read an interesting article about them a month or so back.  Trumps troops are the Wallace voter, the Perot voter, the Buchanan voter.  Working class, white, and distrustful of both government, big business and minorities.  It was these voters that helped Democrats control of congress in 2006 when they became disgusted by the failure in Iraq and then bolted to the Republicans because they feared a Black President was setting up death panels to destroy their guns.  They are the middle American radical, http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/74221/return-middle-american-radical
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 02:10:23 AM
Or I know what both are, and have no illusions about them.  Read an interesting article about them a month or so back.  Trumps troops are the Wallace voter, the Perot voter, the Buchanan voter.  Working class, white, and distrustful of both government, big business and minorities.  It was these voters that helped Democrats control of congress in 2006 when they became disgusted by the failure in Iraq and then bolted to the Republicans because they feared a Black President was setting up death panels to destroy their guns.  They are the middle American radical, http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/74221/return-middle-american-radical

I didn't see any mention of Blue Dogs in your otherwise interesting article.  And none of the politicians you name are Blue Dogs.  Wallace might be considered a Yellow Dog; perhaps you are confusing the terms.